My reality is more confusing than my dreams

I HAD HEARD OF DIFFERENT KINDS OF MADNESS. The kind where the victim seemed to treat every person like a threat. The kind where the person thought of himself as another person and had multiple debates with himself. Another, where the victim is unable to distinguish his thoughts or dreams from reality.

At the moment I seemed to be experiencing the last kind.

As a child I seemed to grasp words very easily. During the time while other children of my age were either laughing or crying to convey their thoughts to their parents, I had already begin speaking in fragmented sentences.

This, however, was not a source of happiness to my parents due to various reasons. While the first words of most children was either 'mamma' or 'daddy' , mine was 'green'. I am told that many of my relatives tried to make me say the common five letter words said by a kid my age, but failed miserably.

Another reason for my parents disapproval regarding my ability was the words said by a counselor.

"A child who does not cry, whose fingers do not curl around his mother's or whose lips are unable to pronounce his parents names, is most definitely an abnormal child." The lecture had been an hour long one but all they remembered was this line. I assume the counselor  had said this lightheartedly, however these simple words had completely devastated my parents.

Ever since then I was made to live in a blue room. Wear dresses in all the colors of the rainbow except green. 'Tinker Bell' was a banned movie and 'Green day' a banned band in our house. So afraid were my parents of the color's influence on me that I wasn't even introduced to the color until I was seven or eight years of age.

Despite this, I would always see a particular shade of green whenever I closed my eyes.

Now, as I watched the man with vivid green eyes gradually come into focus, I felt my heart clench painfully. I did not know the man well, in fact I was sure I hadn't ever seen him in passing, yet his eyes seemed to draw me in.

They were the same shade of green I had been seeing in my head all through those years.

The first and the only words he spoke left me in more confusion than I had experienced in my sixteen year old life.

"Elsie" My name. Plain as daylight. Out of the millions of words he could have said, he chose my name. And that is what terrified me the most.

Soon the confusion and fear gave rise to a new feeling. The feeling of hope. Hope that this might not be real and instead a dream.

My vision began to blur all over again and the ringing silence in my ears seemed to be increasing by the minute, until it didn't seem like silence any more.

A loud beeping in my ears made me sit up in shock. I seemed to be in a light blue room and on a spotless white bed. I was in a hospital.

Looking to my left I saw a heart monitor which seemed to be showing my calming heart beat. Just as I leaned back into the pillow to take a quick rest, the door partially opened and a boy stepped in.

"Umm...hello...Elsie I presume?" the boy said fidgeting nervously with his jacket.

"Yes, my name is Elsie. Hello to you too. Now may I know who you are?" I asked, my brows furrowed, as I wondered if I knew the boy standing in front of me. The whole exchange seemed to be getting more and more awkward as the seconds ticked by.

Hearing the question, the boy's entire demeanor seemed to change. His hands stopped fidgeting and the apparent shyness morphed into a smug look.

"I am Sean, however, you can also call me 'hero' since I am the boy who saved you."

---------

Hello readers!!

Yeah, so the story has finally picked up its pace and will be a lot more interesting from here onward.

~So what do you think of Sean?

Don't forget to drop a comment, it means a lot!

-Annagems