Chapter 6

"Matthew sweety, come we are going to the beach today. How would you like to build a nice sand castle for mommy?" I asked my son as I started collecting all his beach toys.

"Mommy beeth" I can't wait for the day he starts taking. I love teaching him new words. About two months ago I decided that I need to give him some space so I placed him in this really small play group. That helped his speech tremendously. He is only there half day I could stand not seeing him for longer than 4 hours.

"Morning Ms Mayfield"

"Morning Joe" Joe has been working for me two weeks after I moved here. He is a 50 year old coloured. But he has a heart of gold. His wife cleans for me daily and helps me with Matthew when ever I write. They never really asked about his father and I never offered to tell them. In the three years I have been here I never really mad easy friends as I never really wanted to be to much exposed. Traveling under my writers name make fame an issue.

"We will see you later Joe. We are to build sand castles." I said a I strapped Matthew into his car seat in the back of my toyota suv.

"Have a nice day ma'am" He said as he waved us off.

The drive to the beach takes around five minutes. As soon as I found a parking spot near the beach I heard Matthew clapping in his seat. He always does that when he get excited about something.

"Come on buddy let's go build a sand castle." He was making happy noises as we started making our way to the beach. As soon as we were on the sand I let him down and he started running.

I made my way to an area where the sand has been wetted by the previous tide. There I sat and kept a close eye on Matthew. We had some unpredictable weather the last three weeks which prevented us from make our trips to the beach every second day. So Matthew will be taking up all the sun he can today.

"Come buddy let's build a sand castle"

"K" He said as he started running to me. A smile on his face that was priceless. You could see it was pure joy.

We sat there for a few hours attempting to build a sand castle. But all we could get was sand in our hair.

"Mommy dudu" that was his way of telling me he was tired. He was never really a crying baby which was a relieve. I smiled at him as he snuggled close to me.

"Come buddy let's go if the weather is nice we can always come back tomorrow" I kissed his forehead as he laid his head on my shoulder.

I was almost at the car when I hear someone calling.

"Ma'am!ma'am!" I turned to see where all the noise was coming from. Sure enough as I tired there was a young man running towards me.

"Ma'am!ma'am wait you dropped this!" As said that he held up Matthew's shoes.

"Oh thank you so much. I really appreciate the effort." I gave him a polite smile as token not thanks.

"Sure no problem ma'am" with that he turned and ran back to the beach.

"Mommy who that?" Matthew asks with heavy eyes.

"Just a very kind young man that brough your shoes for us." I explained to him as I strapped him in his seat.

After we got home and Matthew settled for his nap I decided to try and finish my last book.

I was halfway with my chapter when I received a mail from my publisher.

From: Global Publishers
Date: 13 May 2014
To: M Mayfield
Subject: Award

Hi Mary,

Well I don't think this mail will go down well but you have been nominated for the Creative writing award. However they are awaiting your new book before final decisions will be made.

I know you have been postponing your publishing date to avoid this. But this is your chance to shine. You deserve this award Mary. You have been working so hard for the past three years.

Think about it and let me know. Just remember whatever you decide I will support your decision.

Regards
Grace

They nominated me? This is huge very few writers get this award so early in their careers. But if I do this I expose Matthew and myself. I don't know if I could do that. I fled to keep us safe. Not even my pedants knows where I am. They don't even know about Matthew.

They nominated me so even if I publish my book they might still reject me. I might as well try and see. I can always decline the award.

This put me in a writing mood . I only needed to finish my last chapter then send it to Grace for editing.

"Celia can you please look after Matthew for a bit when he wakes I would like to work on my book" Celia is is the wife of Joe and Matthew adores her.

"Sure ma'am."

I closed my office door and started on the ending of my trilogy.