Chapter 10

It was already quater to six. Celia has agreed to help and so has Joe. It was quite funny. After I asked Celia if she would help me I went and confirmed with Joe that she would be working later than normal. He said it's all in order but when he said the following I couldn't help but burst out into laughter.

"Ma'am I would like to assist as well. I will assist as your butler if you'd like." Joe a butler. That could work. After my fits of laughter subsided and his words sank in I actually agreed. I could see what Celia and Joe was upto they tried to make sure that I will have no excuses when my parents arrive.

The sound of the doorbell pulled me from my thoughts. Matthew was somewhere with Celia making the final table preparations. But when the doorbell rang I heard my son sqeul in excitement. I slowly made my way to the foyer where Joe was already reaching for the door.

I took a deep breath as he opened the door expecting the worst.

"Evening ma'am, evening sir, welcome to the Mayfield residence" who would have thought Joe could be so professional. I heard my mom mumble something to my dad. That's when my dad spoke up.

"Evening. I think we might have the wrong residence. We are looking for ......" Before he could finished his sentence I appeared behind Joe. When my dad saw me his emotions took the best of him and I saw tears in his eyes.

"Lizzy?" My father uttered in pure shock. Just seeing them made the tears run. I was having a silent waterworks show. I nodded to my dad confirming to him who I am. That brought my mother from her shock state. Joe never stood a chance when she saw me. Before I knew it my mother had me wrapped in her arm sobbing on my shoulder.

"Maggie, honey your scaring the boy." My father whispered to my mom. Those words brought me back to my sense. Looking up I saw Matthew standing there big eyed with a worried expression on his face. When I looked closely I saw tears brimming his eyes.

I loosened my mother's grip on myself and bent down to Matthew's level opening my arms. I didn't even have to say something. He came running towards me. I held him close hugging him hard.

"Everything is fine buddy. Mommy just missed her mommy. So don't cry. Mommy is fine" I smiled at him and kissed his cheek. Funny how kids feeds off their mothers emotions.

"Come let mommy introduce you to your grandparents." Matthew looked at me with wide eyes. Not because of fear but pure excitement.

"Matthew this is your grandmother Maggie" I pointed towards my mom. "And this old man is your grandfather." I continued as I pointed towards my father.

"Mom dad you must be exhausted after your flight. I made a booking at the hotel for you if my living standards is not to your liking." I said with shy smile.

"Not to my liking? Liz have I ever been a snob and after not seeing you for 3 years there is no chance in hell I am stay anywhere but here." My mother was waving her arms explaining. I nodded and ask Joe to take their luggage to the guest room.

"I have some tea set on the porch. We can catch up before dinner" I escorted the to porch where we all sat down. Matthew still a bit uncertain of these strangers clung to me like a second skin.

"So Elizabeth please explain to me why you disappeared without a trace, why not tell us where you were. Didn't you trust us enough?" My mom asked with a saddened expression.

"No mom. My discussion to keep to myself was to protect all of us. I needed to escape before word of my divorce got to the ears of the gossip magazines. And then I just got use to being alone and isolated. It had nothing to do with you." I said in all truth.

"Divorce? What divorce? No one ever said you where divorced. In actual fact we all thought you were kidnapped. Because the one moment you were there and the next you were gone. Dilton searched high and low for you. We even helped him!" My mom looked pained. "We stopped helping Dilton after mark told us were you where. That was about two years ago." I was speechless. Dilton never announced our divorce. But why he had a mistress why keep quiet. He could have been married by now even have their own family.

"Elizabeth" I look at my father. After hearing my name I was pulled back to reality.

"Yes father?" My dad looks at me with a bemused look.

"I asked when did you get divorced?" I look at my dad not sure why his asking this.

"The day before I got released from the hospital after my miscarriage." I sated flatly.

"Why that son of bitch the one time you need him he runs of! He will pay for this I don't give a shit who his father is nor about the business impact but what he did was inhumane how do you leave your wife in her weakest time. The time she really needs you!" I look at my father dumbfounded. Never in my life have I heard him curse. And now in one sentence he he swears like a sailor.

"Calm down Eric. No need to work yourself into another heart attack." My mother scolded him. Heart attach? Another?

"Heart attack?" I ask without realising it.

"Yes your father had a heart attack" My mother states flatly. But I can feel that there is more to the story and I believe me leaving has a lot to do with it. So I avoid asking more on the subject.

As always my angles comes to the rescue. Standing awkwardly in the door is Joe waiting for a chance to get word in.

"Yes Joe?"

"Dinner is served ma'am. May I escorted the guest through to the dining room?"

"Thank you Joe that would be appreciated. Mom dad I will be with you in a minute I just want to ask Celia to attend to Matthew." As I walk to the kitchen Joe escorts my parent to the dining room. I think I need a big glass of wine for this dinner to go smooth.