Chapter three - A midnight walk with a chance of a creature?

I walked home sluggishly, my bag swayed side to side and my body was tilted forward so it looked as if my bag was dragging me home.

I laid myself down on my bed and searched through my bag for my phone. I examined my mobile carefully to see if there were any messages or missed calls for me, there was nothing. Mum had forgotten to leave me a message about what time she might be coming but I wasn’t disappointed, she did this frequently and tried to make it up with a “sorry” when she came back home.

I couldn’t sleep that night, I was expecting mum but there was no click of the door unlocking or a sound of keys tinkling. It seemed forever had past but it was merely midnight. I changed myself into a navy blue top and a red skirt with fishnet stockings underneath, there was nothing much to do with my hair considering how short it was.

I strolled out the house and started to make my way to the park, as I walked dogs howled in the distance and shadows on the street crept up behind me. I have never been afraid of going out at night, the habit started after a month when I was left at home alone, Mum would leave at 11pm for work, Dad always had meetings every now and then and sometimes stayed in a hotel for the night, I barely even saw them together.  Sometimes mum bought back delicious food from the airplane as her way of saying ‘sorry for being late’, since she was an air-hostess .I never looked forward to meeting my parents since they never realised how alone I was.

I sat myself down on the swing and looked up at the moon, the night sky was perfectly clear and the only light that shone down to earth was the moon not even a single star was to be seen, I let the cool, night wind brush against my face and I breathed into the open sky freely as if everything in the world never mattered.

A sudden snap of a twig was heard near the gate, I opened my eyes to search for the cause of the noise. Silence was restored but shadows seemed to be lurking around me, Or in fact one shadow…

I leaped off the swing and forcefully turned my head around to every sound that was heard from different corners of the park. A rattle came from behind a bush, it shook wildly, with every deep breath I took, I stepped back while keeping my eyes wide open and estimating how fast I could run towards the gate before the creature would kill me…

A shadowed figure leapt out of the bush with its leg seizing the air, it landed on its feet, I picked up a stick without thinking and threw it at the figure. ..

“Ugh….!”, a loud moan was outspoken, and it suddenly caught my attention that I recognised the familiar voice…

I gasped as the figure stepped under the moon’s beam. “D-Damien…?” he looked up at me in a shocked expression; I immediately dropped the sticks…

“H-Hey… I was hanging around a bit”, he grinned rubbing his head.

“In a bush at midnight?”, I quizzically  asked

“Hmm…I guess?”, he chuckled, “What about you and your reason?”

I looked at him straight in the eye, “You know me, just looking for men in bushes, sorry”, I sniggered, Damien chuckled again and we both sat down on the swings.

“I usually go to empty places when the world is asleep without me, I have done since I gave up on hope”, I sighed and looked at Damien

“I come here every so often, just to get some time alone from drama”, he glanced back at me

“Busy family?”

“You could say that”, he looked up at the night sky and the moon reflected his pale skin.

“I better go now”, I stood up with my eyes still fixed to Damien’s.

“Yeah me too, nice talking?”, He smiled. We both dispersed to turn back to our own destinations.