Chapter 7 - Flying start to the weekend

The sound of my alarm pierced through my ear, I slapped my hand down on the snooze button and rolled off my bed. Today must be Saturday, I pushed this thought to the back of my mind when an unexpected mumble was heard downstairs…

I grabbed a giant metal rod, which was left to hang up my new curtains, and crept downstairs one step at a time.

I charged towards the anonymous figure and halted, while skidding across the wooden floor when it turned around. I looked up at her with a shock. “MUM!”, I dropped the rod and held my chest to indicate how frightened I was. “I thought you were a burgu…”

“Sorry to disappoint you darling, but you won’t be killing anyone today!”, she interrupted, flicking her wispy curls to a side as she posed in front of her pocket mirror. Sometimes I looked up at my mother’s hazel hair and compared it to my mousy brown hair, how I wished I had her hair. “We have company this afternoon, my boss and his wife are coming to check on my flight schedule, someone complained I was doing too much work, I’m promised extra money for my dedication to British air ways”, she smiled proudly. According to my mum, her work was her life; sometimes I thought that she forgot I was part of her life.  “I might get a work break in advance”, she looked up at me cheerfully, “We could go out for dinner If I do”, I should be happy but I just couldn’t bring myself to believe that she might finally have time for me.

 “Janet they’re coming in less than an hour”, Dad entered the room whilst tightening his tie (he looked as if he was going to hang himself) “Anna honey, aren't you supposed to get ready for school?”, I gave him a blank stare.

“Harry, it’s Saturday”, mum smiled with a wry expression.

“Oh yes, how was your first few days at school?”, Dad turned back to look at me with a curious  look.

“Fine”, I muttered under my breath.             

“Harry, do the kitchen please”, mum said as she beckoned over to dust a corner of the living room.

Around forty minutes later, the doorbell rang.

“Oh gosh, I hope they like the refreshments”, Mum smoothed out her long hair and headed towards the door. “Hello, come in, the weather is getting wetter this season”

“Yes I suppose it is”, Mr Walter has shady brown hair which seemed to bounce every time he walked, he stepped in to our house along with his skeletal wife who was towered over by her husband. Mrs Walter was somewhat a beady-eyed woman, her eyes were small;  You could just make out that they were blue, her straight blonde hair was stuck to a fixed position, not a single strand of hair seemed to fall out of place.

I sat on the top of the staircase as they chattered on and on about work. I dozed off a couple of times from listening to their conversation.

About an hour later I heard foot-steps walk towards the door, they were finally leaving. As they said good-bye to mum and dad they exchanged nods and headed out the door. I remember mum once saying that it was rare that she ever saw Mr Walter smile.

I scampered downstairs to see if I could find anything to drink. I curiously walked up to mum. “why don’t they ever smile?”.

“I don’t know, I think they lost a lot of money a few years back and are upset about it”, I looked quizzically up at mum “Mr Walter says ‘you don’t know how precious something is until you lose it’, whenever anyone asks him to smile for the camera or just generally”

 I still didn’t understand how money had something to do with it, since he was managing a world-wide airport.

 “He always talks about loans and money, I’m guessing he’s in debt, poor man.”, mum stuck out her bottom lip to express her sympathy her face suddenly switched into an ecstatic expression. “I’ve got a week off!, We can go out anywhere you want for this whole week!”

I smiled at mum, “really?”

“yep!”, mum leapt up from the sofa and strode into the kitchen.

I felt overjoyed that I had the chance to tell mum about all the feelings I have kept in for nearly all my life, I wanted this week to be perfect.