Chapter 6 - The Truth

Damien took a deep breath and slowly turned his head towards me, “I don’t think I can…” his voice trailed off, he took another breath and started again “I don’t think we could be friends for long…”

“Why?”, I was confused but hopeful at the same time curious that It might be something I want to hear.

”I’m a vampire”, he mumbled. I laughed at this statement but he looked serious.

“I’m a vampire”, this time he turned to look at me and his words were stern.

I froze and the words were repeated over and over again in my head, how could I have not known? I flashed back at his jumping out the bush, the way he told me he had dinner at midnight and the fact that his skin was as pale as death.

 Damien replied. “Aren’t you going to run home and forget everything and tell the police?”

“No…”, I replied as bravely as I could.

“Why?”

“First of all you’re the only person who makes sense to me in this world, I’ve never seen someone who could be so independent amongst humans, we’re friends aren’t we?”, I held my hand out.

Damien looked at my hand and then up at me and shook it firmly, he smiled.

“Even If I did tell the police, they’d think I was mental”, I sniggered. Damien chuckled and wrapped his hands around me, It was weird, he could bite me any second but I felt safe surrounded by his arms - a vampire’s arms.

“Do you suck human blood”, I curiously asked

“No and I never will, Citizen Vampire’s try to fit in with humans but Street Vampires do tend to suck human blood”

“I just thought that all vampires craved human blood”

“Hollywood movies stereotype us citizen vampires and Street Vampires as one, but it’s true that we drink blood, just us citizen Vampires drink animal blood, some of us even drink ghastly, soya blood”

I wished Damien realised that I wanted more than just to be friends, it made more sense that way but maybe he was into the pretty girls in our class, maybe I’m not as fashionable as them…