The Secret

It's 3 a.m. in the couple's home. The people they were close to admired their relationship with each other. Others, not so much. They were criticized and harassed every day for their way of life. But that didn't matter to them, because they were happy together. Amanda and Rebecca had been together since they were sophomores in high school, which was five years ago last month. Amanda had dyed her hair a vivid shade of purple a while ago, and she had brown eyes and a more cheerful demeanor. Her girlfriend Rebecca, on the other hand, had jet black hair, eyes that were a slightly darker shade of brown than Amanda's, and a punk rock attitude with a fashion sense to match. The two were so different people sometimes wondered how they even became friends, but that was why it worked.

Rebecca was on the phone in the living room when Amanda came out of the bedroom they shared on their first-floor apartment. "Who are you talking to?" Said Amanda curiously as she leaned against the doorway between their living room and short hallway, which led to their bedroom and bathroom. Amanda wasn't the type of person to get jealous or suspicious.

"It's Jake, from State Farm," Rebecca replied with a sly grin, covering the phone's mouthpiece.

Amanda laughed, "Okay, then. When are you coming to bed?"

"Sorry, babe, but I have to go in to work early since we don't have school tomorrow. I have to leave in about 15 minutes, and I won't be back until about 2 in the afternoon," She said with a hint of regret in her voice.

Amanda groaned, "The hours they have you working are ridiculous. I just don't get why they have to have you there at 4 in the morning."

"I know. But we have to get money from somewhere," She walks over to Amanda and puts her hands on her waist, "For now, go get some sleep. I'll see you later. I love you," And with this, she kisses her forehead in a sweet gesture.

Amanda yawns, "I probably should go to bed. I love you too, goodnight. Have fun at work," She then leaves the room with a sleepy smile on her face.

Rebecca watches her go down the hallway and turn right into the bedroom and waits until she hears the familiar click that lets her now that the door is completely shut. Her voice suddenly goes hushed as she puts the phone back up to her mouth and says hurriedly, "I'll be there in five minutes."

********************************************************************************************

It was 3:30 when Rebecca pulled into the driveway of the two story house that belonged to Melissa. Melissa was in the same college as both Rebecca and Amanda. The only difference was that she was a senior while the other two were juniors, and she still lived with her parents and younger siblings, none of which knew she was anything other than straight. It had been less than a week since Rebecca was here last, but it felt like several years. She hurried up the sidewalk to the ornate front door. She pulled the key out from behind the loose sideboard next to the door. She quickly let herself in and wasn't surprised to see Melissa waiting there in lingerie, since her family was away on a week-long trip. They would be back the next night, however, so they had to do this while they the opportunity.

Melissa eyed Rebecca up and down, looking disappointed.

"What, were you expecting someone else?" Said Rebecca jokingly, but with a slightly hurt expression.

"No," Melissa said, "It's just that you're a bit, um, 'overdressed,' " She stated with a coy smile that left no mystery as to what she meant by "overdressed."

Rebecca smiled and, without a word, walked over and picked her up off the ground. She began to kiss her passionately as she walked towards her bedroom. Without once breaking the kiss, she freed one hand to open the bedroom door and close it behind them.

********************************************************************************************
Rebecca awoke at noon the next day with Melissa next to her. The two were tangled with both the sheets and each other. Trying not to wake Melissa, she slowly climbed out of bed and began to get dressed. Melissa rolled over in bed, now facing Rebecca. She stretched with a small groan and opened her eyes.

"You're not leaving already, are you?" She said with a small pout.

"No. I told Amanda that wouldn't be home until around 2, so we still have a couple hours," Said Rebecca.

"So much extra time. What do you suggest we do with it?" Melissa said in a suggestive tone.

"You know exactly what I want to do," Replied Rebecca with a grin.

********************************************************************************************

At 2 in the afternoon, Rebecca finally left Melissa's house feeling invigorated. She had carefully fixed her hair so it was only slightly messy, because it wouldn't be perfect after coming home from work, anyways. She thought back to the night before and smiled as she drove across town back to the apartment building. She thought about Amanda, and how she would take care of her after her long, hard day at work, and her smile faltered slightly as a wave of guilt came over her. At least she'll never find out, she thought to herself as she pulled into the parking lot.