The Final Farewell

Rebecca sat in the bathtub fully clothed with no water running. She blankly stared at the wall across from her thinking about what she was going to do. She had thought about it a lot, but she never thought she would actually go through with it.

She let the tears silently make tracks down her cheeks. She gave one last look to Amanda's note and traced each letter with her finger. She closed her eyes and remembered the times when they were happy together. She let the sadness wash over her to give her the motivation to do what she had already set her mind to.

Rebecca leaned over the side of the bathtub and grabbed the pocket knife she had hidden in the cupboard under the sink. Taking a deep breath, she made a long, deep line from her left wrist to the crook of her elbow. She had to grit her teeth in order to keep from screaming at the pain. The tears flowed harder than ever as the world began to fade into blackness.

 ******************************************************************************************** 

Amanda awoke earlier than usual the next morning. She tiredly made her way into the bathroom to brush her teeth. She slowly pushed the door open. She began to step into the bathroom and froze, suddenly wide awake. Amanda stood there for what seemed like an eternity trying to understand. She knew what she saw, but she didn't want to believe that it was happening.

Once the shock wore off, she quickly crossed the bathroom and crumpled to the floor. She reached out a shaky hand to push the hair out of the girl's face, confirming her worst fears. She cried out and stretched her arms over Rebecca's cold body, pulling her closer. She pulled her out of the bathtub and cradled her as she rocked back and forth while she sobbed.

"No! Please, God, no! Wake up! REBECCA!" Even though she knew that Rebecca couldn't hear her, she couldn't stop crying, couldn't stop screaming, couldn't stop begging her to wake up.

She stayed like this for an hour until someone finally came to the door. They knocked until Amanda, still teary-eyed, got up to let them in. She answered the door and was greeted by a face that flashed from angry to concerned to afraid in just a few seconds.

"W-Why are you covered in blood?" The stranger asked in a fearful tone as they slowly backed away.

Amanda looked down at her clothes. She hadn't realized that she was soaked from head to toe in Rebecca's blood. Her eyes welled up with tears again and she fell to the floor. The stranger ran away as she began to sob again.

******************************************************************************************** 

Soon, Amanda found out why the stranger left. Two EMTs showed up with a stretcher with the stranger behind them. Amanda wordlessly walked back to the bathroom, knowing they would follow her. Sure enough, they followed her, pulling the stretcher behind them. Once they reached the bathroom they went to work checking her vitals.

"She's already gone. There isn't a pulse," Said one of the two EMTs, shaking their head.

"Such a shame. This is the second one this year," Said the other as they began to call the coroner, "You've got to wonder what made them do it."