The Reveal

As Rebecca walked in the door, she knew something was different. The air held an unknown tension that hadn't been there when she left. She cautiously walked into their apartment where Amanda was waiting for her. She had her arms crossed over her chest and her face revealed anger mingled with sadness. It was obvious that she was trying her hardest to hide how hurt she was.

"I'm going to give you one chance to tell me the truth," She said, with a slight tremor in her voice, "Where did you go last night?"

Rebecca froze with fear. She decided to pretend not to know what Amanda was talking about. "I was at work. You know that."

"Then why was your car at Melissa's house? Do you really think I'm that much of an idiot?" She challenged, "I was going to go to the store and buy some groceries while you were at work, but I saw the car at her house."

"You must have seen someone else's car. I wasn't there, I promise," Rebecca stated, trying to keep up her act.

"No, it wasn't. I know it was you. I don't understand how I didn't realize you two were together before. You're always flirting with her, but I thought you were just really good friends. God, I'm such an idiot!" Screamed Amanda, her eyes welling up with tears.

Rebecca began to walk towards her with her arms outstretched, trying to hold back her sobs. "Amanda, I'm so-"

"Don't touch me!" She yells, her tears finally falling, "I don't want you anywhere near me after you've been with her!"

"Amanda, please! I love you! It won't happen again, I promise!" Rebecca said, the tears streaming down her face and her breath coming in gasps.

"Yeah, because it's obvious that promises mean so much to you!" She shrieked in a sarcastic tone, "What about when you promised you'd love me forever? Or when you promised you'd never leave? Or, better yet, just now when you promised you didn't cheat on me!"

"Please, just give me a chance! I won't screw up again!" Rebecca pleaded, "I can't lose you! I need you, Amanda!"

At this, Amanda turns suddenly hushed with unmistakable anger, "Obviously you need her more. So maybe this wasn't supposed to happen. Maybe the last five years were all one huge mistake."

Rebecca blinks her eyes, dazed with shock, "Please tell me you don't mean that. Please tell me you aren't saying what I think you're saying," She whispers, with realization beginning to dawn on her.

"I think it's best if we aren't together anymore. You should sleep in the extra room tonight," Amanda said, avoiding Rebecca's eyes.

Rebecca jolts out of her dazed state, "But I-"

"We're done! Go get your clothes, your blankets, and your pillows because that isn't our bedroom anymore. If I see you in my room again, I'm kicking you out of the apartment. The only reason I'm letting you stay is because I know you have nowhere else to go," She said, pointing towards the bedroom that used to belong to both of them.

Dejectedly, Rebecca slowly walks towards Amanda's bedroom with her head down. She finally begins to realize the consequences of her actions for the past 6 months.