The End

It's been two months since the funeral, and Amanda hasn't been able to forgive herself. She knows it was her fault. Rebecca made that fact painfully clear when she wrote those words.

"So am I," Those words had been haunting Amanda ever since she first read them. "So am I," Rebecca's voice kept chanting in the back of her mind, condemning her for not forgiving Rebecca, for not trying again, not giving her a second chance. For the past two months, all she's been able to think about is if anything is worth it anymore. She lost the person she cared about more than anyone else. In fact, she didn't have anyone else.

Amanda had always thought about this, but this was the first time in her life she was so close to going through with it. A part of her wanted someone, anyone, to stop her. She just wanted someone to care. Amanda put in the C.D. from what seemed like a million years ago that was the catalyst for the tradgedy that ruined her life. She collapsed on the floor with the stuffed horse that Rebecca had won for her so many years ago at a carnival game. The memory swirled in her mind, bringing bittersweet tears to her eyes as the music played.

It was a warm summer's night and the two were walking hand in hand, drunk off of the night air and the innocent love in each other's eyes. They came to a game that displayed a giant person-sized bear as a prize. Rebecca tried and tried to get that bear, but all she was able to win was a small horse. Amanda sensed the dissapointment in her partner at not being able to get anything better. "Bears are too mainstream anyways," Said Amanda with a quick peck on her girlfriend's cheek. At this, Rebecca's icy mood melted and she smiled gently back at Amanda. They had always known exactly what to say to cheer each other up, but it seemed that they had lost that ability. Or at least, Amanda thought sadly, I know I did.

She slowly got up as the last chords of I Will Follow You Into the Dark emnated from the cheap speakers. She walked over to the window above the sink as the C.D. began to play Talking to the Moon by Bruno Mars. She stared up at the moon and said her final words to Rebecca with tears streaming down her face.

"I'm so sorry. I should have listened to you, I should have given you another chance, I should have done so many things to make you stay," She was beginning to struggle to get her words out as she finished speaking in between sobs, "I should have told you I still loved you."

At this, she collapses into a fit of sobs on the floor of their small kitchen. After what seemed like a lifetime she finally got up and walked shakily to the door. She checked the clock before she walked out. She still had five minutes left. She could make it if she drove.

********************************************************************************************

She parked near the train tracks with about two minutes left. She slowly walked over in almost a trance. Once she got there, she gently laid down with her head on the cool metal track. She laid there and watched the stars for what seemed like forever. She heard the horn before she felt the tracks shaking. "It's sort of funny, if you think about it," Amanda thought to herself, "I've always enjoyed looking at the stars, so I guess it's fitting that they're the last thing I'll ever see."

With this, Amanda sees a blinding light and hears an ear-splitting train horn before the world is submerged in darkness.