Chapter One - Encounters Part Two

• Dedicated to Marie LeAnn Taylor

As he approached the encampment, Trystyn’s apprehension grew. Avoiding the curious glances and shocked faces he encountered, he instead concentrated on just putting one foot in front of the other. He narrowly avoided a horse coming his way, and was forced to look back up at the crowded camp. Tents were scattered across the open field afore him, their multi-colored banners flying in the breeze.  Mud was everywhere after the recent rain, and green patches of grass were rare. His boots would need a thorough cleaning. Camp life was hard on the terrain and e’en harder on the men. 

Weaving his way through the rows of tents, he headed for the king’s pavilion in the heart of camp.  His mind was in turmoil. He knew that his father and the king would see the gaping hole in his armor, and of course, they would want an explanation. Trystyn wasna sure what to say to them, and he certainly didna want the king to think he was cracked.

Steeling himself, Trystyn took a deep breath and approached the king’s tent. After a moment of shock, the guards bowed and called out his name to the king. “Enter!” There came a sharp bark from within. At the sound of Aelfred’s voice, Trystyn pulled aside the flap and entered the king’s serviceable shelter. To the left of the entrance was the war table where the king met with his Lords to strategize and plan. On his right, Trystyn observed a less formal sitting area that appeared quite comfortable. Beyond, ‘twas an internal curtain that hid Aelfred’s bed chamber.

 Aelfred didna believe in luxuries on a campaign, and kept all extravagance to a minimum.  Nowhere, could ye tell this was the tent of a king, except that ‘twas quite large. That is, until ye looked at the king himself. He had a bearing that showed an undeniable strength and eyes that glowed with keen intelligence.  E’en his clothing was functional.  Plain breeches graced his form with sturdy boots. He had removed his armor and his doublet was opened at the throat.

Looking at Trystyn, Aelfred’s eyes twinkled with mirth. “I see reports of your death are untrue, Campion, and ‘tis glad, I am, to see ye hale!” Relief was clearly etched on his face, and Aelfred smiled widely at a man he trusted with his life. Gripping Trystyn by the arm, Aelfred warmly embraced his longtime friend and fellow member of their secret bróðorræden, of which there were four. “Ye appear quite well for a man who is supposed to be dead.”

Glancing back at his ruler and relaxing for the first time since he had witnessed his own death, Trystyn silently berated himself. After years of friendship, he should have known Aelfred better. “As am I, my king, as am I.”

“What happened, Campion?  That gash in your armor looks like it should have brought ye to an end.” The king looked at him seriously. His shoulder length hair messy from the battle and his head crownless, he appeared to be a normal nobleman, dressed simply as he was.  He was strong and brave, and to see him, ye would never know that he suffered from a severe infirmity. He preferred to keep his personal information secret from the people in general, but Trystyn had spent too much time with him one on one, and knew the pain his king suffered. “We do no’ have much time ere your father will hear of your resurrection, and be at my door.”

“I am no’ e’en sure myself, Your Highness. Events transpired so rapidly, I have no’ had time to digest it.” Trystyn began, wondering how much he should tell his king. “One moment ‘twas dying, I was, and the next I was whole.”

“And what are ye no’ telling me, Trystyn? Right now, I am no’ your king. I am your brother, as when we were young. I was saddened to think I had lost one of the only people I can trust to protect me and be loyal.”

His king, his friend, Trystyn knew he had no choice when it came to this man. Aelfred was an astute person and knew Trystyn too well. “’Twas as if I were outside of myself, watching myself dying. I heard a voice and was thrown back into my body to the moment ere I was struck, but ‘twas after, because Alex saw it too. Am I insane?”