Chapter Seven - Nuptials

876 AD, HRAEFENGEAT (Ravensgate), WIGHTSHIRE, ENGLAND

Palms sweaty, Trystyn waited outside in the courtyard for a glimpse of his bride. He wasna as scared as he had been afore their unexpected rendezvous in the forest, but he was still nervous. Turning back now was no’ an option, as he found to his surprise that he actually liked his bride. He was sure life would be very interesting with her. Now that he could touch her, he allowed himself to ruminate on the possibilities. She would more than likely bring life into the cold walls of Corfe Castel, and he was glad of it. When his mother had passed, all joy in the castel had seemed to go with her.

The whole village had turned out to watch the procession, and there was music and laughter all around him, but he stayed quiet. The Duk and his father were some distance away, talking animatedly, but Trystyn couldna bring himself to join them. He felt the need for a bit of solitude in order to think, and in truth, he didna wish his father to see how out of sorts he was. A tap on the shoulder caused him to turn around. Dressed in all his finery, Gryffyn stood before him, grinning.

“’Tis good to see ye, min fréond.” Gryffyn warmly clasped Trystyn’s arm. “But, if ye hurt my sister, I may have to call ye out.” The threat was belied by a twinkle in Gryffyn’s eyes, and Trystyn briefly wondered if his lifelong friend were serious or jesting. Deciding on the latter, he smiled.

Before he could say anything, he was knocked to the ground. The air pushed from his lungs, he barely registered the twins atop him. They were both sporting the lethal smiles they were famous for in battle. The twins, he knew, would be deadly serious, and Trystyn desired no’ to cross them if he could.

Salaendar spoke first. “Gryffyn mayna do it, but we surely would,” he stated baldly.

“Aye!” Xzayvier nodded firmly and was the first to get up. Salaendar rose also and extended his hand to Trystyn. Hesitating a moment to gather his thoughts, Trystyn then reached for the proffered appendage and was pulled to his feet so fast he almost toppled over again, and he heard one of them laugh. The twins certainly made him feel as if he still had years yet to grow. Their gigantic frames made them formidable in battle and Trystyn found himself hoping he would never be on their bad side.

A servant appeared with a brush and quickly began dusting off Trystyn’s wedding finery, and then began to brush debris from his hair. Momentarily distracted, Trystyn didn’t notice when the doors to the keep opened. A hush fell over the crowd, and the voice of the Clænsere could be heard clearly. “The bride has arrived!”

Cheers drowned out anything else Barclae might have said, and he waited calmly for it to die down. A small hand took his, and Trystyn looked down into the face of his sister. Adaera was the feminine version of himself, and other than the brotherhood, the person he was closest to. Looking at each other with matching blue eyes, she smiled sweetly, squeezed his hand, then went and took her place with their father. Her reassurance brought him some semblance of peace, and when the cheers finally subsided and Barclae spoke again, it finally registered in his mind that his bonda had indeed arrived.

“Lady Aelswyn Newbury, do ye accept your bond mate, Lord Trystyn Campion, fully and willingly?”

“Aye, I do,” a soft voice replied from nearby and Trystyn got his first glimpse of Aely…his Aely, and she was breathtaking. Her hair was unbound and nearly reached her calves. He wanted to revel in that hair of glorious fire. Her dress was stunning and of the brightest royal blue.  It made her eyes appear even greener, if that ‘twere possible, and he couldna take his eyes off of her for even a moment.