Chapter Two - Battle Lines

876 AD, HRAEFENGEAT (Ravensgate), WIGHTSHIRE, ENGLAND

Standing on the north facing parapets of her family’s castel, Lady Aelswyn Newbury watched the ship as it traversed the river, with its white sails billowing in the afternoon breeze. It was, yet, small in the distance.  He was almost to Hraefengeat; she could feel him like a fire inside her. “Oh, why could he no’ stay away?” She asked the angel silently.

By her side, though no one else could see him, Gabriel shook his head. “Stubborn girl, do you not yet understand that you need him?” His gentle voice was as familiar to her as her own, and danced inside her head melodically.

“Bother that!” Her hood fell down with a gust of wind and copious amounts of fiery curls blew free. “’Twill no’ do me good to see him here. I want no part of him, I say.”

“Child, you must not fail.” He touched her cheek, and she felt the power emanating from him. Aelswyn’s green eyes met his beautiful ones.  ‘Twas impossible to tell the color, but ‘twas simply because they were unfathomable. Each time she tried she became entranced; it felt as if she had never seen anything so compelling.  “You have a task to fulfill. Your very life will depend upon it.”

“Why must I have him to husband?” Her stubborn chin rose in defiance. “Why can ye no’ get some other man, anyone but him?”

“It is not my plan, child.” He touched her hand that rested on the wall in front of her, and heat seemed to momentarily sear her skin, as the power surged up her arm and radiated throughout her still tiny frame. “You know I am only a messenger; not the Master.”

“’Tis no’ fair! The cad has no’ been to see me, ere now.  ’Tis many seasons between then and this, there are.” She was angry and there seemed to be no changing her pertinacious will. “I havna seen him since the day we were affianced and he hadna the decency to e’en write to me, at all. Why should I be his meek little wife? I would rather meet death, I tell ye.”

“You will if you do not listen to me, girl.” Gabriel often wished to curse freewill, as he dealt with this recalcitrant female. He was thankful she was only rebellious concerning one personage, usually, and that very subject was finally on his way to Ravensgate.  “He is necessary, and you will not be allowed to use your power to hurt him. It will not work. You must have faith.”

Biting her full bottom lip, Aelswyn, brushed tears from her wind reddened cheeks. “Do ye no’ wish me to be happy?  Do ye no’ care?”

“Of course I do, Aelswyn.” Having been charged with her training, he recalled times when tenderness entered his angel’s heart for this wayward girl, and realized it was every moment, as if she were his own child. She was an endearing young lady, who treated all around her with gentle kindness.  “You have worked so hard, all these years. I would not wish for them to be wasted, because you cannot manage to get past your differences with your bonda.”

“Bonda? He is no’ my husband, yet! He hurt me, Gabriel.” She squeaked. “Ye saw how he ran. I frightened him. What if ‘tis repulsion he feels for me?”

“Trust the Father, child. He knows what he is doing.” He shook his head. When would the girl learn that he already knew what was to happen; not to mention that he had visited Trystyn himself.  He just had not told her that little bit of information. There was no stopping their fate, and if they did not succeed, there would be no England, and England was fundamental to the Father’s plan. She had no idea of her worth, or what she would do.

“I wish to go to the Abbey, Gabriel.” She knew she would no’ make a proper nun, but she felt being a wife to that ruffian was a fate she was no’ prepared to allow. “I dinna wish to marry the brute, much less, on the morrow.”