Chapter 2

That night I couldn't go to sleep.  My thoughts were rushing all around me and my body wouldn't stop moving.  I tried everything to calm myself down, but nothing was working.  My body rejected any kind of sleep or tiredness, but I was exhausted.  That whole sleepless night was psychological torture to be honest. 

I tried researching anything on the Internet, but I came up empty-handed.  Sometimes I would find myself just staring at my laptop screen as I thought about a handful of things that I couldn't comprehend.  My heart slowly started to feel half empty.  Whatever was going on with me wasn't something any normal doctor could tell me, that was all I knew.  But other than that, I was back at square one.

The next morning, I rose from my bed and put on the short white dress that my mom had picked out for me that day.  We were going to an outside concert for some small country band that my uncle got us tickets to.  I spent a lot more time than I should've deciding if I wanted to leave my hair down or put it up, but I just couldn't focus on one particular thought.

I hurriedly got myself together before my mind ran all around me again.  I sprinted downstairs to my parents and my uncle eating breakfast.  They all looked at me as if I was crazy, but I just needed someone to talk to distract me from my thoughts.  I sat down too fast, causing them to get more concerned.

"So, how is everyone?"  I talked fast.  My words were a little muddled, but I just wanted to do something with my body rather than sit in silence.  "What time are we going to the concert?"

I literally had to stop myself from blabbering myself into oblivion.  I bit my lower lip and looked at them all expectantly, begging them to say something to the point to where I started to shake.

"Briseis, are you feeling alright?" my mom asked me.  She put her hand on my forehead to check for a fever.  "You're a little warm.  Maybe you shouldn't come out today."

"No," I blurted out.  I had to go out and do something.  I didn't feel too bad, just restless.  "I'm fine.  I'll just take some Tylenol."

I abruptly stood up and strode to the medicine cabinet.  My family decided to shake it off, deciding it was just sleep deprivation.  They weren't completely off.

"We'll be leaving in two hours," my uncle announced to me.  "Pack a lot of water bottles and mini fans.  It's going to be smoking hot."

I nodded excitedly and then ran to the bathroom as I felt the urge to pee.  As I sat on the toilet, my legs shook and my arms bounced.  I couldn't keep myself under control and it was starting to scare me.

I put my hands on the counter of the sink and stared at myself in the mirror.  I closed my eyes and inhaled deeply.  But when I opened my eyes and looked closely for the first time, I put my hand over my mouth.  My eyes had always been brown- a deep dark brown.  Now, they were a clear ocean blue.  I had never seen eyes like these before, but they were... gorgeous. 

I poured water over my face to make sure I wasn't hallucinating.  When I looked back up, they were still there.  Did my family even notice this?  They were hard not to see!  I grabbed down on my upper cheek to get a closer look, but they were really mine.

I slammed my hand on the counter and just watched in shock.  It was the first time my body wasn't spasming out on me, but my brain was fried with ideas.  Nothing I had ever seen or heard about could give me an idea as to what I was dealing with.

About three hours later, my family and I were in the middle of a small but wide hill.  We were sitting down on a blanket surrounded by other families.  The sun was scorching hot, but I seemed to be the only one who wasn't bothered by it.