Chapter 8

"So what do we do?" Sam asked impatiently.  He was getting anxious at this point, I could tell.

Castiel sighed.  "I'm not sure," he admitted.  "Right now, just lay low until I can find some more information.  A creature like her being born isn't something the angels would be quick to miss."

"So-" Dean started, but Cas was already gone.  "Great."  Dean rolled his eyes and went back to the table.

"Well maybe we should start with this... mate?" Sam suggested hesitantly.  "I could go out around town and maybe visit Garth to find out something."

Dean looked up to him and narrowed his eyes.  "You're gonna go by yourself?"  Sam nodded.  "And I'm supposed to look after her?  I'm not a babysitter."

"Right here," I whispered to myself.

But Dean and Sam ignored me.  "Just watch her for a night," Sam tried to reason.  "Castiel said she was one of the most powerful beings in the world.  So she's probably very important Dean!"

Dean rolled his eyes at the sarcasm.  "Fine, go!" 

"Well, honestly guys you really know how to gain someone's trust," I muttered sarcastically.  Sam gave me a sad smile before walking out the door, leaving me alone with the Grinch.

As soon as the door closed, me and Dean looked at each other expectantly.  "Do you need food or something?" he asked, trying to break the awkward silence.

I narrowed my eyes at him for a moment.  "You know," I began, grabbing the chair across from his and sitting down, "for a man who saved the world, you are very easy to read."

Dean raised his eyebrow in question.  "You can read me?" he challenged.

I shrugged my shoulders.  "Come on, your brother and you are good hunters, it's true, but there's something different with you.  You don't do this to just save people.  You're looking for something.  But unfortunately, for you, it's something you'll never get."

Dean can't keep the hint of a smile off his face and the amusement in his eyes.  "And what is it that I'm looking for?"

"Your childhood."

Suddenly, Dean's eyes harden and his guard went up.  I continued, "You will never get it back.  And right now you think you've seen it all, and you have- in the demon world.  But you haven't seen what it means to live a normal human life.  You think you know it all cause your mommy and daddy died, but you've never tasted desperate.  You're Dean Winchester, you'd have to travel across space for someone not to know your name, so don't come at me with your anger.  You think you have nothing to lose, but you haven't thought it through.  You haven't about Sam, your little angel- bam!" I pointed my fingers in the shape of a gun and shot.  I stared straight at him.  "People from your world have so much to lose."

Dean didn't even move an inch.  I got up from the table and went over to the bed, leaving him with silence.  I sat down and ran my fingers through my hair as I contemplated on how I'm going to survive.

"Sorry," he muttered.  I looked over my shoulder at him.  "For the babysitting remark."

I smirked.  "Sorry for taking up all your insecurities and putting them on a plate."

Dean chuckled weakly and nodded.  "Yeah, well there are more than you would think."  Dean got up and came by me. 

"And now you just need someone," I said, our faces inches away.  "Someone you can be selfish with."

Dean's surprised once again, but a smile comes across his face.  "Exactly."  And then his lips found mine.