Chapter 2: New Beginning

Waking up to an unfamiliar room, Luna quickly shot up, only to scream out in pain. A healer quickly rushed into the room with damp cloth in her hand. "Don't try to sit up. You have serious burns on your arms and your left hip. They will take time to heal but they will unfortunately leave scars." The healer sat down beside her and started to clean the cuts on Luna's face. "Where's my mommy?" Luna asked weakly. The last thing that she remembered was her mom being held by a...soldier. She remembered screaming but wasn't sure if it came from her mouth or her mom's. And then there was darkness. The healer stopped cleaning her cuts and looked down at her, her eyes holding sorrow. Luna, not understanding what was happening, asked, "Can I see her?" The healer looked down and said, "I'm sorry, but your mother didn't make it." Luna looked up at the woman confused. "My mommy was with me. Why can't I see her?" she asked. The healer didn't look up. It felt like Luna had all the peaces but she didn't know how they fit. "Where's my mommy?" she asked a final time. "The firenation killed her," the healer said softly. Luna's whole world came crashing down. She isn't...she couldn't be...is she?...she is. All the peaces came together. Without warning, her emotions went into overdrive and she couldn't stop the tears from falling. She shot up, ignoring the pain shooting through her body. She shook violently while she screamed between sobs. "I should have saved her!" she screamed. "Mommy come back!" Everything around her was a blur. She could make out a few words a voice beside her was saying. "...down...help...grab" She felt a liquid being poured into her mouth, forcing her to swallow. All the emotion she was feeling suddenly became numb and all she could do was stare infront of her. "You'll be okay Luna," an angelic voice seemed to echo in her head, "I'll always be here for you." Luna imediently felt relaxed at the sound of the voice. She became aware of her surroundings again and noticed that more people had entered the room. There were now three healers, two were holding her down while the other stood above her with a cup in her hand. The ones that were holding her slowly loosened their grip once they saw her relax. A man then stepped forward, dressed in the clothes of a Earth Kingdom soldiers. "I'm General Osamu," the man said. "Do you mind if I ask you a few questions?" All she could do was shake her head 'no'. "What's your name?" he asked. "Luna...Suzaki," Luna said faintly. Osamu gave her a caring smile. "How old are you Luna?" "Nine." There was no emotion in her voice. "Do you know what happend last night?" Luna nodded. "Can you tell me about it?" She shook her head. The General sighed but decided not to push the subject. "Do you have anywhere to go? Any other relatives you could go live with?" She shook her head again and a look of realization washed over her face. Osamu looked up at one of the healers worried, then back at Luna. He couldn't leave a nine year old girl to fend for herself on the streets. "Your welcome...to come and stay with me for the time being. Until we can find you a new home." Luna looked up at the man, her bloodshot eyes lighting up slightly. "T-Thank y-y-you," Luna stuttered. He smiled down at her then turned his attention to the healer. They started to arrange her terms of departure, while Luna replayed all the information she had just received. Her family...was gone. An Earth Kingdom General had invited her to stay with him, although he didn't know what she truly was. But what was she truly. She had bended all four elements in her state of rage. But that was impossible unless you were the avatar, which she knew for certain she wasn't. The power that she felt...it wasn't her. It was like- "You should get some rest," a voice interupted her train of thoughts. She didn't protest since she could barely keep her eyes open. She made herself comfortable under the warm blankets and colsed her eyes. She left all her worries of the real world behind as she fell into a deep slumber.

A week later it was finally time for Luna to go stay with General Osamu. "How are you feeling?" Kiana (the healer who had took care of Luna) asked. "Better," Luna answered and gave a smile to the kind woman, which she happily returned. "The General will arrive shortly." When she heard that, a nervousness swept over Luna. "Nervous?" Kiana asked. Luna nodded her head. "There is nothing to worry about. The General is a kind man who will care for you like you're his own," Kiana reassured. Luna took a deep breath to calm herself. "Now let's get those bandages off." Luna held out her arms for Kiana to unwrap. Once all the bandages were removed, Luna starred at her arms in shock. The scars ran up from her hands to her shoulders and down her left hip. She clenched her fists then lowered her arms. Why did the Fire Nation have to do this to her? "Are you ready," came another vioce. They turned their attention to the entrance and saw General Osamu. "Wait a sec'," Luna said and turned to Kiana. She quickly jumped into the woman's arms, hugging her as tight as her little arms would allow. "Thank you," Luna whispered into her ear. "You're welcome Luna," Kiana said and set Luna down. "You'll come and visit, won't you?" Luna nodded with a smile on her face. "Everyday." They hugged one more time before Luna went to stad beside the General. He held out his hand for het to take. She looked at it for a second before putting her hand in his. He smiled down at her, then they started to walk to Luna's new home. Her new beginning.