Chapter 9: The Avatar State

Luna stood on the deck of a Water Tribe ship that carried the team and a few waterbenders, including master Pakku, who had suggested that the North and South Pole should once again support each other. So he and the waterbenders were on their was to the South Pole, while Luna and the others would continue their journey on Appa the next day. But as she rested her arms on the ship's railing and stares up at the night sky, she had time to think once more. About the task at hand and her friends who were actually willing to help her, even though they knew she could snap at any moment. But she thinks it's be of that that they were so willing to help. With them by her side to keep her powers at bay, the chances of hurting innocent people would decrease. But no matter how many other things she had to think about, her mind always went back to the banished prince. Katara had told her his story, or what she knows about it, but she knew there was more. There had to be a good reason for him to stand up against his father at the age of only 13. But what hit her the most, was that the scar that she had seen on his face, was caused by his own father. She knew that the Fire Lord was cruel but she would have never expected it. She felt a little more sympathy towards him but it still didn't change the fact of what he did. She tried to think of all the awful things that Katara had told her of what he had done, trying to stir up the hate she was suppose to feel but to her annoyance, she couldn't. Eventually, she accepted the fact that that was never going to change. But she promised herself that if he tried to even come near one of her friends, she wouldn't hold back. "What are you doing up?" She heard a young voice behind her, bringing her out of her thoughts. "Couldn't sleep. You?" Aang came to stand beside her, resting his arms on the railing. "Nightmare," was all he said. "Do you want to talk about it?" He looked down at his hands that he had folded together, then up at the sky. "I was in the Avatar state, but I was outside my body watching myself. It was scary. I was scary," he said, his voice unsettled. Luna only placed a comforting hand on his back, not saying a word. She knew the feeling.

The next morning, the four of them stood in front of master Pakku, a few waterbenders standing behind him. Katara stepped forward first. Pakku reached into the bag in his hand and pulled out a triangular-shaped amulet that hand a small, crescent moon on the lid and was painted dark- and light blue. "Katara, I want you to have this. This amulet contains water from the Spirit Oasis," he explained. "The water has unique properties. Don't lose it," he said seriously, before his expression softened. "Thank you, Master Pakku," Katara said and gave him a quick embrace before walking over to Appa. Aang was next. Pakku reached into the bag and pulled out a brown box which had different patterns carved into it, with the Water Tribe symbol at the top of the lid. "Aang, these scrolls will help you master waterbending," Pakku said. Aang open the lid to find multiple scrolls inside, then closed it again. "But remember they're no substitute for a real master," he added. Aang glanced back at Katara who sat on top of Appa, causing a small smile to creep onto Luna's lips. It was obvious that he loved Katara but was to shy to admit it. Aang gave a small bow to Pakku before also walking over to Appa. Luna then stepped forward. He reached into the bag and pulled out a dark blue woven bracelet, that held a small white stone that had the Water Tribe symbol carved into into. "Yugoda wanted you to have this, to remember us by," he said. Luna took the small object into her hand and observed it. It was beautiful and she knew that Yugoda had woven it herself. She looked up at Pakku again and wrapped her arms around his torso. "Thank you, Master Pakku. For everything," she said with a small smile on her face. "You're welcome." She stepped away from him and sent him a final smile before jumping up onto Appa's saddle and sitting next to her bag. "Sokka," Pakku called Sokka forward. He looked up at Pakku proudly and expectantly. "Take care, son," was all Pakku said. He gave him a small pat on the shoulder then walked away, giving Sokka nothing. His expression fell, leaving him looking embarrassed and disappointed. Pakku then turned his attention to Aang who sat at Appa's reigns. "Fly straight to the Earth Kingdom base to the east of here. General Fong will provide you with an escort to Omashu. There you'll be safe to begin your earthbending training with King Bumi," Pakku instructed. Sokka quickly climbed onto Appa before Aang called, "Appa, yip! Yip!" Aang flipped the reigns and Appa took off. "Say hi to Gran Gran for me!" Katara called back as they flew away, Luna just waving goodbye.