Chapter 4: This can't be real

A/N:
Luna is now 15 but she will turn 16 later in the year. Just wanted to clear that up so you won't get confused in this chapter. And sorry if it's short, I was just really excited about posting this chaper!
Hope you enjoy!!!
Love ya!

*3 YEARS LATER*

Luna sat in a beautiful meadow, eyes closed and breath even. Everything was peaceful around her as the sun rays warmed up her body and a soft wind blew onto her skin, causing the long grass to dance around her. She took in a deep breath, only to let out a cough. Her eyes snapped open then widened at the scene around her. The grass, that was a lush green only a moment ago, was now engulfed in flames. The trees were burnt down, the sky was black with smoke and animals were running from the flames. Luna coughed once more as she inhaled more smoke. She frantically began to look around for an escape from the flames, when her eyes caught sight of a hill that seemed unaffected by the flames. Without a second thought, she hurriedly made her way towards the hill, dodging the flames that shot up towards her. When she had finally reached the hilltop, a gasp escaped her mouth at the sight in front of her. The once beautiful meadow, was now divided into four sections, each one holding a devastation of its own. Luna looked at the meadow to her left which was completely flooded by water. Not a spot of grass could be seen and the trees were floating on top of the blue mass. On the edge of this section, the water rose up inton a mighty wall that divided the flood from the rest of the meadow. She then looked to her right and saw a barren wasteland. A giant crack was forming, tearing open the earth and causing the ground to crumble into it. She turned to look behind her, almost afraid to look. The fist thing she saw was the blazing flames she had just escaped from. The fire burned everything in it's path then stopped dead at a point, as if it hit an invisible wall. Next to it, the meadow was being torn apart by a tornado that sliced through the fields. The trees and grass were being torn apart and then disappeared into the swirling storm. A strong wind blew past her, a voice echoing in it, "I can't control it!" Luna looked around confused. "Hello? Is anyone there?" she called into the wind. "I can't control it," the voice repeated. The wind died down after a second. Luna rubbed her eyes to get some of the sand that blew into her eyes out. When she opened her eyes, panic started to rise up inside her. The disasters were seemingly closing in on her. The floodwaters slowly rose up the hill and so did the flames. The giant crack in the earth was heading towards her and the the tornado drew closer too. She looked for an escape route but couldn't find anyway out. Before she could react, the ground cracked open underneath her feet. Her screams echoed into nothingness as she fell into a dark abyss.

Luna shot up in her bed, her breath heavy. She had to squint her eyes because of the strong wind that blew in her room. She inhaled deeply to calm herself and as she became calmer, so did the wind. She looked around her room once the wind had completely died down. Almost all the furniture was thrown over or on the opposite side of the room. Scrolls and books that were neatly packed away in a bookshelf, were now sprawled across the floor. Luna let out a sigh, before she got out of her bed and starred to pick up some of the scrolls. A knock then sounded from the door. "Luna, are you alright?" Osamu's voice came from the other side. Setting the scrolls down, she went to open the door. Once she opened it, she was met with a worried Osamu. "I'm fine but I can't say the same for my room," she said as she motioned to her destroyed room. He looked around the room shocked. "Something's wrong Osamu. I've been having the same nightmare for the past week but...this has never happened before," Luna stated, the worry clear in her voice. Osamu crouched down and picked up a book that laid on the floor. He sighed. "Why don't you head over to the local library. Maybe they have something that can explain some of this," he suggested, walking over to her. She looked up at him, him being taller than her, and gave him a small smile. "Thanks Osamu," she said and placed a kiss on his cheek. "I have to head out. Please, be safe." Luna nodded. He gave her a final smile before walking out of the house. She quickly changed out of her sleepwear then headed out. After a short walk, she reached the library. She walked up to the librarian and asked, "Where can I find the section on controlling the four elements?" The librarian simply pointed at the isle across form them. "Thank you," Luna said before walking away. Once she had reached the right isle, she looked up in amazement. The shelves were stacked with all sorts of books and scrolls, some of them placed in boxes because the shelves were too full. "So, let's begin," Luna said before grabbing a book off the shelf.

After about four hours of searching, Luna was nearly ready to give up. Every book and scroll that she had read, was about the avatar or the Spirit World, none of them mentioning anything that resembles what she was going through. She let out a sigh as she went to grab another book but stopped. There, on the shelf, was a scroll with a unknown symbol painted onto its side (Picture). Luna looked at it curiously. She had already read so many others, what's one more? She shrugged then took the scroll down from the shelf. She sat down on the floor and opened the scroll, reading over it. 'Elementals' read the title.

Every 300 years, an Elemental is brought into the world, their powers unbeknownst to them. Like the Avatar, an Elemental has the ability to control all four elements. Their powers can surface at any age through a powerful emotion such as fear, anger, anxiety and so on. But, unfortunately, this gift...is also a curse. As the Elemental approaches their sixteenth birthday, their powers become harder to control, until the smallest emotion could set it off. If the Elemental doesn't manage to master the four elements in the order of the Avatar chicle before they turn sixteen, the power will overwhelm them and lead to their death...

Luna stopped reading, her face drained of color. This couldn't be happening. Her birthday was at the end of summer. She had to master all four elements before summer's end or...She inhaled sharply as the scroll fell out of her hand. She shot up and ran home, tears threatening to fall. Once she entered her house, she closed the door and leaned against it. She slowly slid down until she sat on the floor. A sob escaped her lips as she thought what awaited her. "This can't be true, it can't be true," she repeated as she pulled her knees up to her body and placed her head on top of them. She started to cry softly. "Luna?" Luna looked up at the sound of her name. Osamu stood above her, worry staining his eyes. He crouched down in front of her so he could look her in the eye. "What's wrong," he asked. Luna looked down, not wanting to look at the man she considered as a father when she spoke the four dreadful words that clouded her mind. "I'm going to die."