Chapter 2: Inner Strength

The soft patter of rain provided a soothing early morning melody. Though tranquil and rhythmic, the subtle sound woke Isla.

She rubbed her face, shifting her hair and sighed from the warmth enshrouding her body. The unknown relaxation snapped her eyes open. She shot upwards, her body wincing as her vision adjusted to the dull, lifeless room.

With a glance, she took in the space. Cracked whitewashed walls with a wooden chair situated by the half-open window. Her soaking-wet cloak hugged the chair and her boots laid nearby. Beneath the windowsill, sat a beaten chest decorated by thin metal brackets.

Isla patted her face again then removed the rough brown blanket. She lived. But where was she?

From ankle to knee, her rolled-up pants revealed bandages coating her skin. Her arms held the same care and attention. The cloth was bound tight, but still flexible. Shockingly, she retained all her limbs from her unintended quarrel.

Her thoughts drifted as she tried to decipher her location. She reviewed the major cities and outposts of Detra. If she assumed the river laid nearby, then downstream laid Bartez and southwest was Lutenberg.

Suddenly, the closed-door sprang open and a short boy wearing an oversized cotton shirt rushed into the room. Tension tightened her body and reformed her blank mask.

"Oh! You're awake. Good morning! Will you come play with me?" the child said, firing his words off in rapid succession. "Wait, I forgot. You're hurt." The boy's gaze shifted as he fiddled with his baggy shirt.

Yet, the small shyness he exhibited quickly disappeared. Isla watched him jump and tumble around the room. She followed his bizarre movements with her eyes without a sound of protest. He stopped and ducked beneath the bed's edge.

The boy's head popped up, staring at her. His mesmerizing flawless emerald eyes drew her focus. A rare sight on Detra, unique and attractive, similar to her own translucent blue eyes.

"Hi, where did you come from? Do you have a name? By the way, my name is Leef. Do you have a father or a mother? Did you get into a fight? Do you like apples? There is this stray beast that always gets stuck up in the apple tree, she even likes to-"

"Leef, stop. Leave her alone," scolded a young man who entered the room carrying a bowl of water and fresh bandages.

"But Rydin, I just wanted to be friends," Leef whined while laying his head on the bed and flailing his arms.

"Later. Go play elsewhere for now." Rydin's voice was tender but strict. He chuckled as Leef charged from the room. "Sorry about that. We don't usually get visitors." He moved to the chair, setting his items down while avoiding her gaze.

Isla scrutinized his movements. He scratched his neck, almost knocking the chair over by his stray arm. With a quick hand, he grabbed onto the wooden back, stabilizing the makeshift table.

Rydin sighed and straightened his hunched back. His gaze inched upwards, meeting her own. She stared into his pale green eyes and waited. What was his motive? What did he plan to do? The questions drifted through her mind.

Yet, as the moments ticked by, her patience earned nothing.

He cleared his throat, the sound penetrating the silence. "How are you feeling? Does anything hurt? Your wounds didn't look too bad earlier. You've only been out for a day." He waited for an answer, but with her quietness, he instead continued, "not much of a talker, huh? Well, rest well. Let me know if you need anything." Rydin offered a strained smile before leaving the room.

Isla settled against her pillow as he closed the door. Who was he?

She expected to observe his personality transform. Perhaps, a hint of irritation or anger from her stubbornness to speak. Instead, his reactions seemed genuine, and very awkward. Maybe she thought wrong, maybe he had no hidden motive. Still, she had no desire to uncover the truth and risk her life.