Chapter 7: A Shaky Plan

The inn's mahogany door creaked open, the hinges screeching unintelligible profanity. Isla peered left at the arrivals, her gaze spotting Rydin's form. His sagging shoulders and downcast eyes proved he failed his quest. Eve followed him, her worried gaze trained on Rydin's dispirited mood.

"Find anything?" Isla asked.

"No," Rydin retorted, turning his sulking face away.

"Rydin."

His body tensed, but he refused to return her attention.

"We tried the guards," Eve intervened. "But they refused to assist. I'm afraid without any authority we won't receive a reaction from them."

Her gut had been right. On the surface, the patrolling guards provided peace but the rich oligarchy defined their actions. Why would they defend commoners and the poor? They gained nothing from the weak and helpless, except the perfect scapegoat for the missing tribute to the Gods.

Isla swung her head towards Squirt. "The gang responsible for the kidnappings has a scheduled shipment soon. We're planning to check the docks for the kids. Rydin, are you coming?"

He turned towards her, his gaze flickering between her and the shelves of mugs lining the wall. "Yeah," he mumbled.

She rolled her eyes. What was his problem now? They had larger, more pressing worries than his self-esteem. "Let's go," Isla snapped.

Squirt gulped the remaining contents of his mug then released a long burp before replying, "Aye, ma'am."

Leaving the Quiet Fox and Eve behind, they followed Squirt to the shipyard. The pungent smell of fresh fish and sea salt mingled into one heavy odor. The stink carried, coating the threaded nets and large wooden crates lining the dock's edge. Without nose struggling humor, the dockworkers hurled barrels, boxes and fishing gear alongside the water. Squirt had been right, late morning provided the best cover, but it also contained the worst smell.

Isla brushed a stray lock back beneath her hood, her gaze focused but alert. She spotted several guards mingling with the residents, their chain-mail glinting in the morning light. They protected inanimate objects but not the living. How sad.

Squirt slowed his pace, stopping near the final defending stone aqueduct against Detra's surging ocean. Luckily, the minor island opposite the port protected Lutenberg's rich gulf from the frequent quaking waves and unbalanced water levels. From afar, the land mass's distant shape could be seen. Westward, against the mountain's edge stood a large warehouse where workers strutted to and fro with goods from the arriving ships.

"See that corner dock?" Squirt whispered. His eyes darted around, watching the working men. "There be a hidden dock past the corner. The place leads to the dark alleys, that be Lutenberg's worst place ta be. Me guess, they plan to load durin' the night ontae that metal dogged schooner."

Isla scanned the shoreline, the metal-coated ship breathing steady upon the waves. "Can we get eyes on the children?" Isla asked, leaning against the aqueduct's damp, stone column.

"Eh, be tough, guards at the gates."

"Would a distraction pull them away?"

He shook his head. "Nay, not likely, ma'am. The city guards would be a problem."

Did they have to gamble? Isla crossed her arms, her eyes flicking between each passerby. There had to be some way to learn which children were kidnapped. If Callum couldn't identify them himself and they lacked concrete evidence, then they risked fighting blind. Truthfully, a battle not worth fighting.

"Ah, but, I migh' ha'e an idea. A bribe may do the deed," Squirt speculated.

Isla nodded. "Then let's split up. I'll find out when the ship's leaving, you and Rydin check on the kids. We meet back at the inn after we're done. Got it?"