Chapter 33: A Sudden Turn

The silence extended and encouraged her mind. What had been the reason? Why thrust her into the Underworld and manifest some fallible scheme?

Her instincts climbed, chiming high. A simplistic nefarious plan felt improbable. Easy to assume, but unlikely. Emotions be damned, she had none for the witch. No, in fact, common sense denounced her. But, pure gut instincts told her the glass surface she portrayed concealed a bright sun. What a tacky and annoying analogy.

She wiped her face, the sweat, dirt, and blood caked dry. A stiffness intertwined her muscles and limbs, slowing her response. Isla zoned back, ignoring the dull, empty cavern.

Perhaps her mindset was wrong. Maybe Nirvana's purpose had been to confirm her potential and abilities. But what about the trial with Arcadia? Was the mental conundrum bestowed upon her not sufficient? Forget it. What went through that woman's mind existed outside reason.

Rest escaped her as a shiver shredded her body. The tremble sliced through her core. Her heart clenched and her muscles spasmed. She gulped air, the heat scalding her lungs. Her breathing hitched and her vision hazed.

A force jolted her, shaking her form. The quivers tormenting her ended, but the shaking continued. Her gaze refocused on Lance his mouth moving, creating words. Creases lined his forehead and his eyes darkened to amber.

"Isla?" Lance questioned.

Her heart slowed and her breathing subdued. "I'm good," she responded while pushing his touch away and sitting up. "What just happened?"

"You need to leave. Now. Let's go." He gripped her arm again, dragging her upwards.

Isla clasped his gloved paw, her hand jittering and strength seeping from within. "Calm down. What's happening?"

"He's awake."

Mere words with the power to inflict catastrophic destruction. Her shiver returned, escalating and ransacking her body. Yet this time, she could calm the reaction.

"If he finds you, he will kill you," he said before ushering her forward. "Lucifer can materialize you back to Arcadia. We need to hurry."

He yanked her across the earthen platforms towards a staircase inlaid upon the wall. The heat dissipated as they ascended, the light dimming to torchlight. Heavy metal doors rusted by time blocked the exit. But a narrow gap between unlocked their passage.

They transitioned to a bare courtyard the high outer walls surrounding them. She wriggled her nose, the sulfuric stench spurring remembrance. Her feet crunched the gravel and dirt mix coating the expanse. Black metallic pillars divided the land, their height reaching towards the red-tinted sky.

Their trek ended as they reached the keep gate. She expected an interruption, soldiers or guards, anything occupying this grand bureaucracy. Yet silence greeted them.

Her gaze narrowed on her freedom. Beside the tall keep gate stood Lucifer. At the sight, Lance's grip tightened, his force bruising.

"Lance," Isla grumbled and halted, digging her heels in.

"What?" he snapped, glancing between her and Lucifer.

"I can walk fine on my own," she said, squirming her encased hand.

His eyes widened and he jerked his hand back. "My bad."

"This way," Lucifer called, breaking the awkward vibe. He acknowledged the guards on duty before moving ahead.

She glimpsed the glares contorting the guards' faces and jogged, catching Lucifer's tail. "Will you both be fine?"

"Our King has awoken. Something as insignificant as releasing a prisoner will fall under the wind. At most, a minor punishment, but no hardship we can't face," Lucifer explained. "And Lance has Asterick's lineage and support, even if he believes otherwise. Do not fear for us."