Chapter 36: A Change of Heart

Rein's back flexed beneath the tight blue robe lined with silver stitching. Though he wore the same long, refined fabric of the Gods, the sight reassured her. Rydin had made her weak. But this action reinforced her instincts. She was prepared.

"Care to explain where we're headed?"

"We're meeting Skye outside the barrier. He said to fetch you before you tried anything foolish," he snickered. "I was too late."

"Since when was escape foolish?"

"Uh, when you start flirting?" He halted, turning on her. "You learning seduction has me scared. I can't imagine it ever succeeding."

Isla arched her eyebrows. "Excuse me?"

"Serious." He smirked.

"Want me to hit you now?"

Rein backed up. "Come now, we're in a hurry."

"Then lead."

He pivoted, his pace returning. "I said slap, not hit, not punch, not kick."

"Specifics."

A lightness penetrated the overhead smog of grief. She hated this feeling. When would he give her an explanation?

"Rein, tell me why?"

He stayed quiet and his walk slowed.

Her calm voice broke the stagnation. "Tell me Rein. Why did you betray my trust?"

He sighed. "Information."

"On what exactly."

"On how to kill your father," he replied.

Isla bit her dry lip, chewing the flakes of dead skin.

"He killed my parents. Their treasonous conviction was his doing. He controlled their actions and forced them into fighting. The Arcadians had no choice but to respond," he explained while quickening his stride. "Together with her Highness, Queen Nirvana, we warped the truth and spread a false rumor. We blamed their deaths on their relationship to your parents. That they were plotting Arcadia's fall. We drew your father in, and I acted to gain his trust. I pretended the Arcadians and their Queen had wronged me. And here I am."

"Back then, were you traveling to spread your tale? To bait my father?"

"Yeah. I argued against lower ranked officials and created friction. The Queen quieted any of the growing concerns. We acted from both sides, and played our parts."

"And if he didn't take the bait, then what? Did you plan to throw your life away and tarnish your parents name for some flimsy hope?"

"Hope, huh? Maybe I did hope too much. If my infiltration hadn't succeeded, I would have tried another. Isla, you and I both have seen what he's done. He sits on his throne watching his people kill, never getting his hands dirty. You know he's a monster."

She clenched her fists. "I'm not saying you're wrong. But how does cheating, lying and murdering your way through make you any better? You killed an innocent before my eyes, for what, a chance at information?"

"Hey now, information wins wars."

"Shut up, Rein. Your plan to defeat the monster will turn you into one."

"Don't you see," Rein growled, "one life to end the cause of so many others. What don't you see? What don't you understand?"

"No, don't one life bullshit me. You started this because he killed those important to you. Sure, others felt similar pain and suffering, but that gives you no right to justify your actions as humane."

Rein's back tensed. "Then what would you have me do? Would you have me risk everything for a kid? I tried scaring him away, but no, you protected the liability."

"Oh, so now this is my fault? Are you kidding me?"

"I didn't mean it like that. You have to understand, I tried. I didn't want to kill him either," Rein lamented.

"Whatever. You've been lying to me since we first met. What difference does blaming me for another's death make. Let me guess, you knew I was a God as well. You stalked me, proclaiming friendship, when in reality you were using me."

"I didn't know that part," he muttered. "Trust me, if I knew the warped personality of the woman I was hitting on, I would have fled."

"I'm amazed you still push your pathetic sense of humor even in this state."

"Well, you're literally pushing me against a wall. How else do I respond?"

"I swear, you're an idiot. You just made a stink about justifying the death of an innocent, but here you are, risking everything. Brainless fool."

He shrugged his shoulders. "It means my investigation is finished."

"And now what, do you plan to just let him kill you? Stop throwing your life away for others. You masochist." Isla shook her head and relieved her burning fists.

"It's my way of making amends, can't you at least grant me peace?" he whispered.

Her throat dried and constricted, lodging her retort. Yet, one became irrelevant as they exited onto the balcony, back to her starting point.

Skye leaned against the balustrade, his crystal white hair fluttering around him. The wind lifted his short locks, revealing a transparent crystal hanging from his ear.

"Skye," she said as their gazes connected.

"Your Princess tried seducing Meissier, you better hurry," Rein interjected with crossed arms and a widened stance.

Skye advanced with grace but swift movements and outstretched his hand. He appeared surreal to her. Odd, considering this dream-like face concealed years of suffering.

"This is the last time I aid you. Remember that well."

Her brow furrowed. "An empty promise. I'm sure you'll eat those words."

"If only that were true," he murmured.

"Isla," Rein called, "tell her Highness, the Gods will attack. Arcadia faces war."

She looked at Rein. "Thank you, genius. I hadn't guessed. But why exactly now, what's different about now?"

He cocked an eye. "The Queen marked you as her successor, halving her power and connection to Arcadia. By imprisoning or killing you, your father limits their protection."

"That doesn't add up. How did that hold him back all this time?"

"They had a contract," Skye added.

Isla watched Skye, his yellow tinted eyes softening beneath the daylight. "Through blood?"

"Yes. One between your parents and the Queen. The transfer of rulership weakens the contract. Not even blood contracts are almighty."

Even Nirvana, for all her arrogance, couldn't have foreseen the future's course. And without all three parties maintaining the blood contract, a mere insignificant clause could have brought their downfall. However the terms and conditions were derived, her mother's death deleted a stationary point. She had no other conclusion, Nirvana had been desperate.

"Skye, she needs to go," Rein voiced, "Isla, I hope to see you again." He flashed her a grin.

Before retorting, Skye grabbed her shoulders and her vision started to shift. She clenched her eyes shut, her insides squirming and flipping. Did the materialization unsettle her or their separation? Rein's actions held meaning but accepting them meant she welcomed Rydin's death. Without a doubt, forgiveness fled like a firefly's life. Still, he did not deserve death.

The pleasant contact from Skye and the shifting wind disappeared. She unveiled her sight, staring at a bewildered queue of people entering Erose. She was back.