Prologue

A light shimmered behind her closed eyelids, beckoning to her with each flicker.

She yearned for it and its promise of warmth.

Struggling, she opened her eyes, unveiling a blinding light that swirled and converged into a myriad of colors. The hues sharpened, balanced, and took form as she focused. The grays and browns undertook separate identities, and lines encased the yellows and reds, drawing the blazing fire.

The shadows dimmed and the cave's walls softened. The pain plaguing her eyes lessened as sight became natural. Now, it felt normal.

An electrifying tap to her back strengthened her core, jolting her body. She coughed, blood and mucus dripping from her lips and dribbling down her chin. The liquid mixture joined her slime-covered skin, cold but dabbed clean by large rough hands. The cleaning freed her pores, warmed her body, and invited the brisk night's chill. She sneezed, shivering once more.

White fluff enshrouded her, protecting her body. She peered at her savior, her eyes studying his broad shining forehead. Curiosity stole her mind as her sight soaked in the curves and lines of his face. Her steady gaze matched his, and the man's once expressionless eyes narrowed before widening. He stared at his counterpart, a haggard sweat-covered woman. Her curling brown hair was matted against her skin, framing her dark amber irises.

She knew this reaction: a joyous and loving reception transforming to fear. With one moment, she knew her soul found another vessel to call home. Her unique hair, eyes, skin—everything about her represented a freak of nature to those uninformed.

Was this the first? The second? No, much more. An uncountable number. This sight she had seen before.

Again, she lived.

A/N: Hello! This has been newly added, so alterations will be made to it. Any comments would help. Let me know if you like it.