Chapter 16

Clint continued to push above his heart for the next couple minutes. Isabelle called Alby over and he took Gally to the pit after she told him she'd explain later.

Isabelle was leaning against the medical table when she heard Newt suck in a deep breath. She rushed over to him and looked up to an exhausted Clint.

"He's alive, but he won't be if he keeps bleeding. Here," he said and shoved some bandages into her arms.

She quickly unraveled the thickest one and began wrapping it around his head. Clint worked on his leg and Jeff was trying to determine if his ankle was broken. It was.

Once Isabelle had his head wrapped up the best she could, she worked on positioning a leg splint around his leg.

"His leg is secure," she stated.

"His knee is out of place. Hold him down, I need to push it back in," Clint ordered. Isabelle held his leg steady and Jeff held his thigh still. Clint grunted and a popping sound was heard. Newt cried out but was still unconscious. He looked so pale...

"Isabelle! I need you to wrap his knee so it doesn't move."

She nodded and grabbed more gauze. Once his knee was secure she asked Jeff what was wrong with his foot.

"Probably every bone in his foot is broken. Never seen anything like it."

Isabelle put her blood stained hand to her forehead. What should she do? It was like trying to put together a broken puzzle.

"Um," she said with a wavering voice. "Clint? Do you know how to set bones?"

"A bit," he responded. "I'll work on his foot, you two just fix the rest of him."

So they worked on him, bandaging and stitching, more bandaging. Finally, after six hours of working on Newts broken body, they took a step back.

"I think we've done everything we can. We'll give him some pain medication and hope for the best," Clint sighed and sat down on the floor against a wall. All of their hands were bloody and probably stained from it.

"I'm going to go wash my hands," Isabelle said weakly. Her fingers were shaking and she was trying to breathe evenly.

She went to the pond  in the back of the Glade, by the north wall. She knelt next to it so her knees were on the edge of the water. Isabelle stuck her hands in the lukewarm water and began scrubbing. No matter how hard she rubbed her hands together the blood wouldn't come completely off.

She eventually gave up and started crying. Out of frustration, sadness, anger and confusion. Angry at Gally, frustrated with herself, sad and confused at Newt.

She sat next to the water for a couple minutes, staring at her broken reflection. Maybe it was the water moving, or her actual expression. Either way, she felt broken inside.

Someone was calling her name. She could hear them getting closer towards her but she didn't care. She didn't care at all.

"Isabelle?" It was Minho. "Hey! Princess! I found you."

"Dang. I should've hid better," she said sarcastically.

"What are you doing all the way back here?"

"I guess I just wanted to think."

It was quiet before Minho spoke. "What happened with you and Gally? Why's he in the Slammer?"

Isabelle had nearly forgotten about that incident. A laugh bubbled out of her.

"He tried to stop me from saving Newt."

Minhos expression turned to shock. "Why?"

"Well, 'so we could be together'." Isabelle mocked Gallys voice.

"He said that?"

Isabelle nodded slowly and stared at the water. Minho kneeled next to her and crossed his legs uncomfortably.

"I should've never let him split off, I'm sorry."

Isabelle shook her head. "Don't be sorry. You didn't know. I don't think there was anything any of us could've done. But it doesn't matter now. It's in the past." Isabelle took a deep breath and stood.

Minho stood as well. Isabelle started to walk back to the Glade when Minho held her arm.

"Hey, are you okay? I mean, really okay?" He raised his eyebrows at her and she just shook her head.

"No," she whimpered.

Minhos face softened and he pulled her into his arms. She hugged him tightly and cried on his shoulder. It was nice to have a friend that would be here for her like this.

"I can't lose him," she whispered.

"You won't. Okay? Because every Princess needs her Prince Charming."

Isabelle gave a sad laugh and told him what a shuck face he was.

"Alright, let's get you back to the Homestead because it's around one in the morning and you really need some rest."

"Okay," Isabelle whispered and wiped the tears off her cheeks. "Thank you."