Chapter 19

Isabelle knew that the first thing she had to worry about was Grievers. How would she hide from them? She knew she wasn't fit enough to run all night, so hiding it was. And if she didn't make it out, well she'd already came to terms with that very likely possibility. She knew Minho would take care of Newt for her.

She heard the first Griever scream about an hour after she was banished. She panicked, looking for vines to climb or somewhere that the vines had grown in thick and she could hide behind. She found nothing. This is the part where she would have to run.

With her heart pounding in her ears and her blood pumping through her veins, she tried to get as far away from where she heard the Griever scream as possible. She eventually made it to a dead end, but lucky enough, a thick part of the ivy that grew was protruding from the base of the stone wall. She leapt for that and buried herself inside of the vines, laying on the ground.

She was under there for a good hour on her side, pebbles being pushed into her skin. She considered getting out when she heard the mechanical whirs and ticks of her predator. She gripped the ivy tightly and kept her eyes open wide.

A Griever sauntered around the corner, completely unknowing of Isabelle. Maybe she could actually survive the night if she stayed here, unmoving and quiet.

That was, until the Griever saw the ivy move. It was slight, but it did move. It screeched and grabbed at the vine with its metal claws. It pulled the plant from the wall, along with Isabelle, and ripped it apart. Isabelle was dragged with the plant and knew she needed to move quickly. She got to her feet and while the Griever was busy with the ivy, escaped around the corner.

She was so focused on running away from the single Griever, that she forgot to listen for the others. She realized her mistake as soon as she turned the corner and saw two of the creatures. It was almost as if they were waiting for her.

Waiting to kill her.

***

Newt didn't scream that night. He didn't have nightmares, he didn't even sleep. He insisted to Minho on sitting at the base of the tower outside, listening. His leg was in front of him, practically useless at the moment. His head was throbbing and ached like someone had hit it with a hammer. He also felt very weak but he honestly didn't care.

So he sat at the base of the tower where Isabelle and Newt first remembered each other, and he just listened.

Listened for her screaming, listened for the Griever that would find her, and listened for the silence that followed. But he didn't hear that. All he heard was the stone scraping the cement ground as the walls moved.

He wondered where she was, in what part of the Maze she was in. Had he been there yet? Could he find her if he was able to go in there?

Newt gripped the grass in his fist and ripped it out in frustration and grief. This was his fault. If he hadn't...jumped...from that stupid wall, maybe she would still be here. No, she would be here. This was because of him.

Tears built up in his eyes and he rubbed them away with his fist. He was disgusted with himself. Isabelle deserved better than to be out in a shucking maze because of him! Newts sobs echoed throughout the Glade and the Gladers who woke simply turned back over, trying to forget.

He just wanted her back...he just wanted her back. In his arms, next to his side, her hand in his...

Newt began drifting off with thoughts and memories of her when he heard it.

Isabelle's scream and the victorious screech of the Griever that had ended her.

And in that same moment, Newts soul shattered into a million pieces.

***

Isabelle turned around as quickly as she could, hoping the two Grievers hadn't already seen her. But she wasn't so lucky this time. She began running and heard the Grievers hungry whirring behind her. One lashed out with its sharp blade and struck her.

She fell to the ground screaming. Her waist had been cut and was bleeding pretty badly. She grunted and pushed herself back up, just before the Grievers needle could finish her.

The Griever gave an ear splitting screech and followed after her with the second Griever on its tail.

Isabelle knew she needed to get to cover somewhere, quickly. She couldn't run much longer with her side in this condition. She took a left, then a right. Right again and a left. There!

Just behind the ivy, she could see where a deep crack had formed in the stone wall. The ivy would cover her if the crack was big enough for her to fit into. It was her only hope.

She sprinted for the opening in the wall and pulled the ivy away far enough to slide into the cavity. It pressed against her skin and she was turned in a weird angle, but with the ivy she was hidden.

The Grievers came around the corner with blades, needles, and sharp claws ready to tear her apart. But, where was she? The Grievers kept full speed as they climbed walls and raced past her.

She breathed out heavily once she knew she was safe. If she could just avoid those demons for a couple more hours, maybe she'd make it out of here alive after all.