Chapter 25

"No," Isabelle said firmly and crossed her arms. "I'm not working for you. I won't help you destroy the lives of so many innocent teenage boys." Isabelle paused and added in her mind, "Except Gally."

Ava sighed. "I was hoping you wouldn't be difficult."

She tapped on the glass screen and turned to Isabelle once the footage resumed. "It is Newt that you're so in love with, right?"

Isabelle took a quick breath in at his name and Ava smiled. "I thought so."

Isabelle stepped up to the screens again and leaned on the counter below it. Ava tapped a couple dark blue circles and suddenly Newt, who had wandered up to his room, collapsed to the floor. He clawed at his throat and thrashed around on the floor.

"H-he can't breathe! Make it stop!" Isabelle screamed. She tried to replicate what Ava had done but nothing worked.

"You need to agree to cooperate," Ava said calmly.

Isabelle continued slamming buttons and tears fell down her cheeks. Eventually she gave up and watched Newts mouth gape open for air that wouldn't come. His legs were stretched to their limit and his hands remained clutching at his throat. Isabelle sobbed and nodded.

"Okay, just make it stop, please," she cried.

Ava pressed a single black circle and Newt drew in a deep breath of air. He relaxed against the floor and breathed deeply.

Isabelle tried to wipe the tears away as they came but there were too many.

Ava put a gentle hand on her shoulder. "I'm glad we've come to an agreement."

***

Newt had never been so grateful for air in his life. He drew in as many breaths as he could. Whatever that was, is wasn't exactly pleasant. Did he need to go to Clint and Jeff to see if anything was wrong with him? People don't just fall to the floor and not be able to breathe. He would do that then. And if they had no explanation, he would blame the shucking creators. They were always behind everything, right?

That night, the boys had set up the Bon fire and Newt curled up against a log with Gallys drink he made. As much as he despised the boy, he needed this right now. He took a swig out of the jar, grimaced, and looked up the Greenie who sat next to him.

It was quiet before Newt picked up the blue jar and held it out to him. "Here," he offered. "Put some hair on your chest."

The boy took a big gulp out of it and then spit it out immediately. "Awh! Oh my gosh...what is that?"

"I don't even know," Newt smiled. "It's Gallys recipe."

"Yeah, well he's still a jerk." The boy looked down to the grass below him.

"He saved your life today," Newt responded, as much as he hated to defend Gally. "Trust me," he muttered, remembering jumping from the Maze walls and Isabelle being trapped in there overnight. "The Maze is a dangerous place."

It was quiet between them for a moment before the Greenie spoke up. "So why aren't there any girls here? Has it always been just boys?"

Newt froze with his mouth open. A look of pain and sadness crossed his face and he looked to his shoes. "No," he replied. "Once upon a time there was a girl here. But she wasn't here for very long."

The boy furrowed his eyebrows. "Why did they send a girl up at all?"

Newt rubbed the side of the glass jar. "I don't know. But I'm sure glad they did."

***

The Greenie somehow got into a wrestling match with Gally. Neither of them won, because halfway through the Greenie hit his head on the sand and looked up suddenly.

"Thomas. I-I remember my name. It's Thomas!"

The air was filled with shouts and claps from everyone and sand was blown into the air to celebrate. They shouted his name and clapped him on the back.

"Welcome to the Glade," Newt muttered to himself.

He started walking to his room when he stopped outside of Isabelle's door. It was like he could almost feel her in there. So close, yet somehow unreal at the same time.

He pushed the door open slowly and his heart felt like it'd been pricked. The sheets and covers were still disheveled and a change of clothes was still waiting for her on the desk. Newt quickly closed the door when a lump in his throat formed. He made his way to his own room without looking back.

That night his nightmares were the worst they'd ever been, and Thomas finally heard what a person in complete agony sounded like.

A/N: I promise I'll stop leading from the movie soon shh be patient