Chapter 31

Images, or memories, flooded Isabelle's mind. She remembered the sharp sting of giving herself stitches and Newts soft hands, feeling his heartbeat with her palm, WICKED taking her and using her, the Maze...

She broke the kiss and with wide eyes, and took Newts hand in hers.

"Newt I...I remember..." She muttered and stared off into the distance.

"Everything?" Newt turned her chin so she'd look him in the eyes. Her eyes were distant and she was going through everything.

"I-I'm not sure. But I remember what happened..." Her eyes flooded with tears and Newts heart broke. He held her to him and she clutched at his shirt. "And I wish I didn't."

"Shh," Newt calmed her. "It's okay."

"No," she said and sat up straight. "It's not. Newt, I killed someone."

Newts hand that was massaging hers froze. "What?" he whispered.

Her voice shook and was barely audible. "I killed Alec."

Newt stared at her for a couple seconds and then stood. He paced back and forth slowly and glanced at her every couple seconds. She wiped away tears and waited for him to say something.

"How is that possible? I mean you were even here!" Newt stopped pacing and put a hand on his hip.

Isabelle shook her head. "I didn't need to be."

Isabelle told him of who and what WICKED was and about Chancellor Ava Paige. She spoke about her with such malice that Newt wondered what she'd done.

"Ava tried to kill me yesterday, Newt. But someone...I can't remember her name. She saved me." Isabelle searched her mind again but came up empty for her name and only had her face in memory.

"Why was Ava trying to kill you?" Newt grew even more confused and learning that Isabelle had killed Alec was like a cement brick he couldn't move.

"Um..." She tried to remember. "I wouldn't do something...wouldn't hurt Thomas. So she was going to kill you but I attacked her I think..."

Isabelle was starting to get a headache and she pushed her hand through her hair. It was like trying to recall a movie she'd seen five years ago.

"Is that why-" Newt started but Isabelle cut him off.

"Why you couldn't breathe? Yeah. She was using you to make me do things. Things like kill Alec." Isabelle stood and crossed her arms now. Newt took in her stance and tried to read her eyes. She was angry. Furious.

More memories seemed to come to her and she went rigid. "Oh my gosh," she breathed. She turned and pushed Newts bedroom door open and stormed down the hall. Newt was hardly able to keep up with her.

"Isabelle! What are you bloody doing?" Newt followed her out in the Glade. They'd attracted almost everyone attention now. Whether from her quick walk or Newts shouting.

Isabelle went to the Gardens and Newt put a hand on her shoulder. She was looking for something. "What is it love?" Newt asked.

Isabelle tried to find the place where Newt was standing yesterday and turned to her right sharply. The Deadheads.

Isabelle stepped to the closest tree and looked closely. She saw a small movement and smiled.

Isabelle grabbed the beetle-blade in her fingers tightly and stared directly at the eyes. The camera.

***

Ava was more than upset with What happened the other day. Losing a subject like that was costly, but sometimes necessary. Whether to keep WICKED alive or to enforce what they believed. Ava tapped on the large touchscreen and it powered on quickly. Images flashed of the Glade and everything seemed to be in order until...

Ava looked closely. On one of the screens was a girl. She marched into the Gardens and turned sharply, looking straight at the camera. Ava let out a sharp breath and took a step back. No...she was dead. Was this just old footage?

Isabelle kept getting closer until she smiled to herself and grabbed the camera. Ava bit her lip. So she'd discovered the beetle-blades.

"Ava," Isabelle said and stared venomously into the camera. "I hope you're listening closely. Because mark my words. I will not stop until WICKED is burnt to the ground as ashes and the life fades out of your eyes. So I'd prepare for war, because that's what's coming."

Then the screen went dark and Ava let out a breath she didn't know she was holding. She wanted to play war? Then Ava would play. And she was determined to win.

In the back of the room, a door that had been opened slightly clicked shut quietly and Teresa slipped out with a determined smile on her face. She ran to the new recruits. She had to get to him before Ava did.

She unlocked the door and slipped inside. The boys were lounging out until they were needed. Perfect.

"Aris?" Teresa called. One boy on a bottom bunk looked up to her and she motioned for her to follow her quickly. They both slipped out the door and Teresa took him to a supply closet where Ava wouldn't cross her path.

"I need you to listen very closely, alright?"

The boy nodded and Teresa smiled. "A woman named Ava Paige is coming to get you. She's going to try to use you to do horrible things. She'll tell you that you're doing the right thing and she'll threaten your friends if you don't."

Aris looked at her with scared eyes and he grew confused. "What? Why me?"

"Because you're different. Valuable. And you're going to help me save innocent lives and tear this place to the ground, okay?"

Aris nodded. He wanted nothing more. "What happened to that other girl?"

"Ava tried to kill her. She's back up in the Maze. That's why Ava wants to use you. I promise it will make more sense later. Just don't trust a word that woman says and wait until I can talk to you again." Teresa patted him on the shoulder and he nodded.

"Good. Now go back and don't worry. I'll keep you safe."