Chapter 30

"There has to be a way!" Newt rubbed his temples with frustration. Isabelle had been taken to the Med-Jacks and she was resting now.

"I just don't see how we could jog her memory, I mean," Minho sighed. "It's never happened to any of us so why would she be any different?"

"Because she's been here before," Newt said and stood from his bed. "We hadn't. Maybe she'll see or do something that will make her remember."

"I hope," Minho said. He looked at his watch. "I need to get back out there. See ya shuck face."

Newt nodded and Minho left to run. Newt decided that he'd been away from her for too long and he needed to be with her now.

When he entered the med-jacks hut Isabelle was sitting up already awake. She had been talking to Jeff about what she did when she was in the Glade before.

"Wait, you're telling me I saved him?" She looked to Newt and back. "Like, he's alive because of me?"

Jeff nodded and stood. Isabelle looked to the ground with a frustrated expression, trying to take everything in and remember.

Newt sat next to her, on her left side, and resisted the urge to grab her hand like he had done a thousand times.

Newt instead looked up to Jeff. "How are her stitches?"

Isabelle frowned. Stitches? She didn't remember getting any of those...

"Oh! I completely forgot about that." Jeff motioned for her to stand and she did cautiously. "They're on your side, don't worry I'm not trying to do anything...sorry."

Jeff awkwardly lifted the hem of her shirt and she wanted to pull away but she also wanted to see. So she looked at where her supposed stitches were.

A thin white line trailed from her ribcage down to her lower back. Isabelle gasped slightly and an image of a slimy, screaming, half mechanical creature flickered through her mind. Was that what did this? What on earth was that?

"Griever," she breathed. She knew the name for it somehow. Newts dark eyes were looking at hers then, and he stood quickly.

"What did you say?" A drop of hope was locked in Newts heart and he led onto it as if it was sustaining him.

"Griever. A Griever did this. I remember seeing it." Isabelle searched the rest of her mind and came up with a few sketchy memories of being somewhere dark, cold, and terrifying. She remembered running and then...nothing. Isabelle gave a frustrated sigh.

"Where was I when I got this?" Isabelle asked. She dropped her shirt and looked to Newt.

He didn't say anything, but her gaze followed his to the tall concrete walls that trapped them in here. She was in there?

Newt came up to Jeff. "There's no buggin way her stitches could've healed that fast. Someone did that."

Jeff nodded. "I know, and I wish I knew how they did it."

Later that night, Newt was sitting on his bed and thinking, as he always did. His hair pointed up in different directions and dark circles were under his eyes.

A small knock pushed the door open slightly and he could see that Isabelle was standing there. This was the first time he would be able to talk to her in private since she came up in the box a day ago. He scooted over and made room for her to sit on his mattress. She thanked him and smiled.

"I've finally remembered my name," she said with relief. Newt gave her a gentle smile at this.

"Good, now we can try to get you to remember more. Like you did with the Griever today." Newt looked over to her and she was staring at her hands with thoughtful eyes.

"I remember this, too," she said quietly and took his hand off the bed. "You used to do this a lot, right?"

Newt nodded and stared at her with awe. His hand seemed to be on sensory overdrive and he was aware of every movement her finger made against the back of his hand. Everywhere it touched seemed to leave a trail of fire in its path. She smiled to herself and let his hand go.

"Did I love you, Newt?" She asked with sincere curiosity in her eyes.

"Yes," Newt muttered sadly. He wanted her to remember so badly, just something, something to bring her back. "And I loved you. I still do."

"So it'd be okay if..." Isabelle trailed off and thought about what to say. Newt wanted to tell her yes already but he would hear her out first. "I'm going to try something okay?"

Newt stayed quiet and watched her. She bit her lip hesitantly and looked up to Newts eyes. She moved closer to him and his eyes were so familiar. They were her sanctuary.

Isabelle put a hand against the back of his head with her fingers gently playing with his hair. She smiled at the sweet feeling it gave her. Newts eyes were on her and she could feel them, curious and cautious.

And then Isabelle let out a small breath and pushed her lips to his.