Chapter 38

A hand slapped on Isabelle's shoulder. "Ready to go, Princess?" a confident voice accompanied it.

"As ready as ever," she replies. She folds her arms and stared ahead at the dark Maze. The other boys stood next to her and held their newly sharpened spears tightly. This was it. They were leaving and going to take down WICKED.

Thomas stood in front of everyone. He nodded and everyone waited. "Let's go!" He thrust his spear upwards and turned around to jog into the Maze.

Newts hand found yours and then you both were running too.

***

"What do you mean the mainframe is down?" Ava shrieked at the technician. He shrugged and she shook her head. "And you!" She turned to Teresa. "Where have the boys gone?"

"Someone helped them escape. A Burg was seen leaving the area and we can only assume that's where they went." Teresa wanted to smirk and laugh at Ava. Was her palace finally crashing?

"Ah..." Ava pushed a hand to her forehead and closed her eyes briefly. "Group A is going to be arriving soon. We need to find some way to start the back up generator."

Teresa froze. The backup generator! She'd completely forgotten!

"It's been destroyed," the technician muttered nervously. Teresa held back a grin. Aris.

Ava scowled at him. "That's impossible."

"I think someone here is rogue," Teresa offered. "It would make sense wouldn't it?"

Ava thought for a moment. "Isabelle is coming back. We need to prepare to fight. If someone is rogue, I guess we'll know when they arrive. Notify the guards."

Teresa nodded and hid a smile as she turned around. She walked briskly to the armory and slipped inside. She scanned the area to see if anyone was there and was satisfied when the room was empty. All the weapons were still in their spots, shiny and hardly touched. Teresa took a deep breath and stepped forward.

She grabbed a laundry cart she'd hid in here an hour ago and began loading all of the weapons into it. She put the launchers in last, knowing that when the Gladers got out they'd use those first. She took a tarp and covered the weapons so none of them were visible. Then she crept out of the room quietly and clicked on her flashlight.

The hallways were all still dark from the power going out and no one would be able to see her walking with a giant lumpy cart.

Teresa started half jogging down the hallway, flashlight in one hand and the other leading the cart. She quickly turned to the right and sped on.

She finally reached an unoccupied dark lab and stowed the guns there. She couldn't do anything about the weapons the guards already had, but stealing these weapons would be a big advantage. Now all that was left was to wait for the Gladers.

***

Thomas led them through the Maze without difficulty. Everyone was starting to get worried. This was too easy. Where were the deadly Grievers that lurked around every corner? Why were none of the Maze walls changing? The place seemed barren and empty. It was a skeleton of the trap that had kept them in the Glade for so long.

"Thomas what's going on?" Isabelle asked, not bothering to be quiet.

"I-I don't know," he said and kept jogging forward. They were close to their destination now, but was something even worse waiting for them there?

"Are they messing with us?" Frypan chipped in.

Thomas shook his head. "I think something's wrong at WICKED." A hint or worry and anxiety crawled onto his face. Isabelle wondered why on earth he'd be worried about WICKED. What was for him there?

The Gladers continued and after a couple minutes of empty silence they made it to the way out. Minho glanced around and held his spear defensively.

Everyone waited for something to happen. Something to jump out at them, crush them, or kill them in any way. Nothing.

Minho dropped his spear and it fell onto the cement ground. "Well this is anticlimactic."

"I don't care, lets just get out of this bloody place." Newt frowned and glanced up the walls of the Maze. He shook his head and looked forward, giving Isabelle a small smile to reassure her.

Thomas walked up to a dead end wall and held something up to it. Suddenly something new beeped and the wall started sliding upwards with great difficulty. Isabelle followed Thomas and the others through. He entered some sort of code and then the wall that had lifted seconds ago, dropped shut. 

Excited yells echoed throughout the group and some whooped and cheered when the final door opened. No one went through.

"Three years for this?" Frypans voice echoed.

Minho shrugged. "What did you want? A parade?"

"Well, yeah."

Thomas finally stepped through and into what seemed like a black hole. There was no light and once everyone was through, the last door swung shut and everything was quiet.

"So were allowed to just walk out?" Winston asked.

No one answered.

"This way," Thomas muttered and began walking.