5

If I have the ability to travel back to the past like those sci-fi films, I definitely would go back to the time where I was still outside the classroom with Aly. There, my future self could have warned about her suggestion, then told my past self to relax and start building up with my plans. While doing so, I could also get to the restroom and at least fix my appearance.

Because at this moment, my legs were on the verge of caving in.

This was the worst—yes, the worst ever scenario I have put myself into; slipping my tongue and tactlessly ruining my first conversation in front of a guy I have not been interacting with for 3 years. I should have casually talked with him like he was an acquaintance, but my idiotic mess of feelings just had to get in the way.

Right now, the idea of sprinting the hell out of here, locking myself in the bathroom stall, and bawling my eyes out for saying something so ridiculous was surely tempting. However, if I did just that, I would have exacerbated the entire friendship scheme even more, especially when the person involved was Edward, out of all people.

Just stay on the spot... Just stay on the spot...

I repeated my mantra as many times as possible, reminding myself to take breaths. My cheeks probably looked like a pair of ripe tomatoes, but there was nothing I could do to hide them, even with my pink hat; Edward had probably seen them. I awkwardly ogled at him, expecting him to throw me a disgusted look, but... I could not even read this man.

He showed little to no changes to his countenance, or some kind of expression that was at least transparent. He didn't budge and continued to look fixedly at me. His icy blue eye that used to spark with delight, was basically an empty, bottomless pit radiating nothing but apathy.

"Nice to meet you, Rena!" A memory of his child self with his signature grin flashed through my vision; the same grin I would probably never see again. Only a predominant scowl came to greet me in return, replacing his original personality.

"...Serena?" Edward spoke out my name, dragging me out of my thoughts. Jesus, what are you doing Rena?! This is not the time to stand here and think about other stuff!

"Y-Yeah... sorry about that..." I stammered, while my hands trembled vibrantly. If only I could punch myself from faltering like some idiot, I would have done this smoothly.

There's no turning back this time. I hastily tried my best modifying the sentences I had been planning to say. With both of my fists in front of my palpitating chest, I mumbled, "I'm trying to s-say—"

"That you love to cook?" Edward finished before I could complete. Yeah, perhaps it was best to dig a hole and bury myself, so I would no longer have to think about rambling nonsense and being a total humiliation. Yeah, shame on me, shame on me!! Dear floor, please just collapse on me, I don't care at this point!

"N-No! Not that!" I exclaimed, shaking my head furiously. While coping with this extremely intense burden, I successfully impelled myself to open my mouth again to speak, although my voice cracked. "I-It's just that... I was wondering if we can... you know, be f-friends?"

Friends. Edward might never know how much I looked up to him, but being friends was sufficient enough. I just want him to know... he will never feel lonely again.

Once again, silence ensued between us. Despite this, I was able to compose myself and not end up causing another blunder by making such an appalling statement. Such a disastrous start, but for the love of God, please let him forget what I had said before, and let this work, at least.

Only a miniscule part of me hoped he would smile—yeah, you were asking for too much, Rena—and nod, but of course, I anticipated for him to sneer and scorn me. I twirled a strand of my light brown hair while his jaw slightly dangled open, but it closed rather tightly. Alright, just don't do anything strange in front of him-–

Edward suddenly grappled upon his backpack, and made me flinch a little. He strode past me but gave me a side glance, perhaps out of recognition. With a hand wrapped on the door handle, he ceased then hung his head down. Eventually, he muttered the answer I had been waiting for, but it was not the one on my list of expected responses.

"You deserved a better friend."

Huh?

And right after that, he shoved the door open and disappeared to the other side. His brash but rapid footsteps echoed across the hallway, with the noises whittling every second, before I could hear them no more. And then, here I was glued to my position, and my brain was not even trying to comprehend what the heck he meant. Well, I was going to stop him, but he had departed fast enough.

Did I say something wrong...? He seemed... so bothered, but didn't even explain it.

Well, I should have contemplated this.

From all the stories I have eavesdropped on, Edward rarely spoke in full sentences, only retorts. Heck, he had survived days of staying completely silent, and so for him to talk to me was basically pure luck. Perhaps his teammates still claimed he was one of the most valuable players, but... his mannerisms suggested something opposite. After all, I was the one who had been frequently observing him from afar, my ears gravitated to any opinions regarding him. One of the disgusting gossips I have heard was that he was genuinely mute.

Nope, he even still addresses me, so... what happened?

I was so immersed in assessing this situation I was in, I barely noticed the door squeaking and someone speeding into the scene, with the air blasting through me. However, I somehow knew it was my best friend.

"Is everything alright?" Aly questioned. "I saw him leaving in a rush."

"Yeah, I'm fine..." My own voice was hardly audible.