3

A few weeks have passed since that incident, and Aly had not been coming to school. Everyone in our grade was practically talking about Edward, but I shut them out.

Raphy was not here either; no one was able to reach him directly. However, when his father finally explained that he didn't want to talk to us, we decided to leave him be. Let's hope he's doing well too...

And so, there were only Lynn, Seb and I in our usual spots during the lunch hours, munching our food without a word or two. Without Edward to cheer us up with his sunny grins, gloominess quickly surrounded not just our group, but the other classes as well. After all of this... is he gonna be okay?

His voice from the past answered, "Don't worry. If anything happens to me, I'll get through it!"

Opening the door to my math class, Samantha and I immediately stopped at the sight of my best friend way back in the corner of the room, and that place... wasn't where she typically sat. She blankly studied the paper in front of other; perhaps the quiz from what felt like decades ago. I didn't realize I actually ran towards her until I found myself plopping to the seat next to her. Samantha followed and sat behind her.

"Hey Rena, Sam..." She greeted weakly, waving her hand before either of us could ask. "I'm okay now. Sorry, I didn't tell you guys. I just need..." She paused, folding her trembling hands together. "... a little break."

"I-It's fine," I said. I'm glad she came, but she's definitely not okay.

"Yeah. None of us would expect something like this to happen." Samantha joined in. "At least Christopher's being treated we—"

"Alright, back to your seats. We got some news before we start!"

All conversations, including ours, ceased when Ms. Jones clapped her hands, walking to the front of the class. While everyone scrambled back to assume their seats and pull out their textbooks, she breathed from her lips before she smiled sadly.

"Christopher was just discharged from the hospital. He'll be coming in today, so let's give him a warm welcome and congratulate on his recovery," she announced, and almost immediately, Samantha and I exchanged glances at each other, before turning to Aly. She had snapped out of her trance as she straightened her posture, her hands were balled into fists.

My chest ached. I really couldn't blame her reaction. While he was hospitalized, it turned out no visitations were allowed, whether it was short or not. It was not because his parents prohibited us, but it was Edward. He was the one forbidding anyone—including all his friends and teachers, even Aly herself—from seeing him. At least that was what his mother told us, but... why though?

Maybe he doesn't want us to worry about him? That seems like something he will do.

"Make him feel comfortable too, alright?" was Ms. Jones' last words regarding this matter before she continued on with the topics. Surprisingly, instead of breaking into whispers and gossip like they always did, my classmates quietly reverted to their books and said nothing.

I couldn't focus on the lesson. Now that Edward had returned, my mind was basically piling up with plans on how to address him properly without stuttering like an idiot. My fingers fiddled with my pencil while my heart hammered against my ribs.

You'll be fine.

Just talk to him like you always have.

***

Classes simply went without problems, and before I knew it, lunch time flew into the scene. However, this was the moment I was waiting for, but at the same time I dreaded it. It's time to see how Ed's doing.