27

Tuesday.

Never did I expect myself to arrive at the school earlier than usual.

While the skies were barely brightening itself up, thin streams of clouds quickly strewn out of the way to welcome the rising sun. The wind leapt noisily through the trees, fallen leaves and my hair as I locked my bicycle's wheels in place. Considering the time, the bike racks sat barren; and with countless spots to choose from, obviously I got to the most accessible one.

Regardless, my best friend was still crowned the early riser—alongside Edward—apart from what happened last week. There, she stood by the entrance with our childhood friend keeping her company, although they drowned themselves on their phones rather than sharing any sorts of interactions.

Edward was... well, even 'beyond fatigued' was an understatement. With his face deadly pale as a ghost, it seemed like the sagging bag underneath his eye intensified. He was definitely on the verge of losing his momentum and toppling to the ground.

"Oh Rena, you're super early today!" Aly exclaimed, waving hand in front of me.

"Oh... um, yeah!" I acknowledged, but my attention could not take itself away from Edward. He bobbed in my direction, but as he stepped forward, his feet tripped over the jutting of the pavement. Almost I kept myself on guard, ready to catch his body, but his reflex had kicked in to regain his balance.

"Edward... for the third time, get your ass back home. You're dying, man." Aly huffed, "You're eventually gonna lose it—"

"I'm fine, I'm fine," He grunted and waved the back of his hand, dismissing her concern, "This is nothing... I'm used to it."

"Well, I beg to differ."

Edward gripped his jaw while glowering at Adelynn, who had her hands on her hips. Even though he quickly masked himself with his poker face, his efforts were proven futile. He flinched when his friend marched towards him, forcing him to stumble backwards until his back pressed against the wall. He further stiffened when Adelynn's gaze traveled up and down, as if she examined him in a meticulous manner.

"Let me guess. Working overtime again? Staying up all night?" asked Adelynn as she raised her brow.

Edward's bangs covered his eye as he looked away.

She groaned loudly and placed her hand on her face. "Oh Ed... you really never learn your lesson, do you? I know you loved your job but at least get your sleeping and school schedule sorted out too." She stressed out. "God, you keep complaining your father is a mad workaholic, but here you are."

She was not wrong. Even a couple of years ago, his dad was barely in the picture during all of our hangouts. "Dad's always so busy. He's never free. He's still awesome though!" That's what Edward had said to me.

"I know, I know, you don't have to tell me," he snapped, lightly shoving her off him, "It's just that I lost track of time, that's all."

"Always your excuses, huh?" Adelynn retorted. And not even a second later, she was practically blasting Edward of how precious breaks were and emphasized on his health. However, her lectures seemed to flow in and then out of his ears as he continued rolling his eye and shaking his head, but that did not stop her criticism from stabbing him on all sides.

"Wow... that's some... scolding going on there," Aly murmured, grimacing. "Lynn is such a mom. Reminds me of when she chewed out on him and I when we were playing in the streets." She scratched her head and stuck out her tongue.

I mean, that was understandable. Not only could there be speeding cars, but they literally crossed during red lights!

Regardless, I couldn't help but to secure my upturned lips. Ever since I reconciled with Edward, I could observe more of his relationship with his other friends, and honestly... there were not many changes. Adelynn was still the overly concerned mother scolding her disobedient son.