26

Pressing his lips, Edward slowly turned around with his balled hands tucked to his sides. As he lowered his head, Seb flashed him a quick smile as he gently pushed him towards her. His deep breaths had his chest huffing up and down, before he approached Adelynn.

She acted rather similarly; refusing to directly look at him as one of her legs made circular motions. She had her hands on her back, as if she was hiding something that piqued my interest. There's really a conflict! Maybe it's related to their basketball teams last week?

Meanwhile, Aly brightened up as she silently drew near both Mark and I—with Adelynn in tow, she was definitely aware as well. Before I had the chance to ask what was going on, both of them had found their voices.

"I'm sorry."

Sorry?

Their apologies came out in unison, to which they immediately shuffled both of their arms and feet altogether. Edward rumpled—a childhood habit of his that never died out—his already disarranged hair, while Adelynn's gaze traveled all over the place, before locking back at him.

"Nah man, it's my fault. I was really caught up in the heat of the moment," She began, laughing nervously. "I shouldn't have lash out at you like that and just listen to what you had to say. Really sorry I forced you... but Jason and the freshmen came up to me today, they said they really wanted you to come back... for real this time."

That made sense. Edward had been blatantly throwing countless hints of his frustration towards them, whether it was to me or Seb.

"Well... I bought bread as an apology." She then revealed the object, or food, she had been concealing; a croissant with melted chocolate wrapped in a plastic foil, sprinkled with tiny diced nuts. That looks so good... I can't even refuse the offer either.

Edward gulped at the sight of his favorite food, and he practically was about to snatch it off her grasp. However, he resisted the temptation as his extending hand stopped midair, before he abruptly withdrew it back.

"I don't deserve it," he muttered, "I was the one who snapped at you firsthand, so... it's fair you shouted. I... I really shouldn't have jumped into conclusions."

"Wise words from a man whose fuse is shorter than Florie," Seb chimed in and without second thoughts, his librarian friend stood up and elbowed him in the chest. Aly then let out an abrupt loud snort, in which the two ganged up on shushing her to silence. She's gonna have another arch nemesis...

"Bro, just take it," Adelynn dismissed him, pulling his arm and placing the fresh bread on his open hand. "Don't hold back. We all know you want it."

"But I..." Edward paused as he took his time to ogle at the bread like it was some fresh meat, before he eventually sighed in defeat. "Fine, I'l take it. Not like I want to, though."

"Yes, yes, you don't want to. Got it." Adelynn smirked, playfully shoving him.

"You ain't a kid, Grumpy. Just say it if you want something—oof!" Florence called out and distracted their moment, but Seb was quick to react by chopping her head again.

"Let him be. Don't ruin the moment and read the room," scolded Seb.

"I don't wanna hear that from you," said the green-haired between her teeth, and the two were instantly gifted with hushes from Aly.

Despite everything, my heart fluttered at their banter; I couldn't conceal my growing smile either. Whatever had happened between them and their teams, they managed to settle their differences. It was so alleviating seeing Edward's mood mitigated and his usual scowl went away for a bit. Despite his paleness, he was... much better than before.