28

"Wait, wait, this looks familiar... Aren't you telling me we're going... there?"

When the strong salty odor weaved its way to our nostrils, Aly was the first person to open her mouth as soon as we stepped into a very exceptional park; way too exceptional, I would say. It had approximately been 20 minutes since we left school and I had left my bike chained at a nearby parking lot, as per her directions, but I never realized...

"Yeah... this is the same ol' park we would always hang out at," Adelynn murmured with a hint of laughter. "All thanks to a certain someone."

The park never changed; that one lone gazebo was still there, hidden amid the shrubs and overlooking the endless ocean, which had stayed faithful to its dazzling navy blue shades. I would never forget the nostalgic sight of the Ferris wheel adorned with a myriad of lights, although now, a newly added roller coaster had accompanied the attraction. And in front of those man-made amusement rides, a small pier docked the floating boats.

I could be in this park for hours; both a panacea and an escape from all of the stresses of our daily lives. Heck, if someone felt bored here, it would be a total disgrace. Relaxation seeped into my veins as the balmy wind rejuvenated me. Listening to the noises of the sea as it hit the shore made me want to close my eyes for a second.

When was the last time Edward brought us... or even me here? His haunting laughter had my heart ached a little, but it throbbed more as the ghosts of our pasts manifested inside my head, where we would go on about our days without worrying about other stuff, where we would play until we were out of energy, where we could just... have fun.

Everything was so simple back then.

If only that could go on...

Right after Edward's accident, this place barely crossed our minds again as we grew apart. Nevertheless, I somehow ended up visiting now and then, and if I was lucky enough, I would catch him alone in the gazebo and get lost in the scenery.

Only once I dared to talk to him.

Facing the concrete ground, a memory of the last time we properly interacted began to roll into my vision. And that was a couple of years ago...

***

2008

After all of those nerve-wracking exams, I finally stole this chance to stop by the park.

The snow from the moment I woke up continued to fall from the gray sky, carpeting most of the grasses. It crunched underneath my boots as I trudged slowly, making sure every step I took was into something even. Even with two layers of jacket and sweater underneath my school uniform, a thick scarf and a pair of red mittens, my body was still shivering.

Despite all of the seasonal changes, the sea, of course, remained the same. The Ferris wheel was covered with snow, and all the trees had only their branches left. Walking into the gazebo, I stopped when a boy had been there the whole time, and the first thing I noticed about him was his bright blond hair and the eyepatch covering his left eye.

He hung his head, blocking himself from seeing anyone. As the floor groaned at my step, Edward abruptly snapped up at me. His gaze followed me closely as I decided to go to the other side of the gazebo.

"Um... hi Ed..."

Honestly, I didn't know why I even addressed him; he would just avoid contact anyway. And as expected, only the roars of the sea greeted me in return. He already acknowledged my presence, so it was all up to him; if he ever wanted to talk, I would be happy to.