Chap. 3

Collins POV

All I could see was black. I could hear my heart beating and a deafening sound. I faintly heard people screaming my name. But for the life of me I could not scream back. I could not move. I was aware that somebody else was in my room. Someone who was crying and begging me to wake up. But I couldn't it. I was tired. My body felt like it had been rolled over and flattened by a rolling pin. I just closed my eyes and went back to the sleep and the darkness that was calling me.

Three hours earlier

The phone rang and I pressed the accept button on my steering wheel.

"Collins speaking" Though I had a pretty cool idea who it was.

"Collins the new shipment has arrived"

"Oh. Great. Have you double checked the itineraries?"

"Yes they all seem to be in perfect condition and are up to date"

"Oh thank you. Have you talked to Damon yet?"

"Yes he said he will be there in a couple of minutes. Where are you?"

"I am on 92nd Street. I should be there in the next five minutes"

"You are always late. You were supposed to be there half an hour ago"

"Sorry. I was busy" I defended myself.

"Yeah. Busy I bet" he scoffed. I think he was starting to get sick of my ex-girlfriends showing up at my house.

"You are going to regret fooling around with all these girls one day. You are over 30. It is time for you to settle down and have a couple of kids"

His nagging was starting to get to me. Even my own mother did not nag me this much.

"In a couple of year's man" I was not ready to settle down. The light turned green and I was halfway through the street

"Besides man I haven't found the right girl-"

BANG!!!

"Collins. Collins. Collins are you okay?" a panicked voice kept repeating over the piece of metal. But he got no response. Just groans.

In the background, screams were being resonated and people yelling for ambulances and help.

But in the black SUV Collins Dwight was slowly slipping into darkness. And he welcomed it willingly.

Present

I had woken up a week ago. I had fractured my ribs and broken my arm but apart from that I was okay. I was in pain, but it could have been worse. It was a case of bad faulty brakes and a man who had worked an 18 hour shift. I didn't know if I was going to sue him or not. It all depended on how much pain I was in tomorrow morning.

My mother would not stop crying over me. She hardly left the room. I was her only child. My dad had a fear in his eyes. All of my friends and family were hear in support. Honestly I could not take any more of their badgering and pestering. Every five minutes someone was asking me how I was feeling. Frankly I was getting sick and tired of all their jokes and attempts to lighten me up and not have me concentrate on the pain. But their jokes were so bad that there was nothing else for me to concentrate on. I don't know which hurt more, my injuries or their jokes.

Honestly, I was scared. I was at one of those instances where I was starting to reexamine my life. But I would not let anyone know that. To my family and the public I was the infamous Collins Dwight. The ruthless billionaire. The suave business man. I have been on GQ magazine and even Men's Fitness. But right now I was scared.

All those billions I had amassed, all the models I had slept with, the cars, the houses, parties, awards, private my planes they all seem worthless now. They didn't seem so important. For once I was truly vulnerable. I find myself questioning if all of it was worth it. Who do I leave it? Why am I doing all of this. Why do I only have a handful of friends? Most of my friends were married or engaged. As of I, I had no one. It was time for me to change. To put less time at work and more time with my family and friends.

Three Days Later

I was finally able to move around and take short walks. I was still in pain, but I was taking medications for that. The nurses and doctors had been poking me all during my time to make sure that I had no lingering illness or broken bones or internal bleeding. Or some sort of doctor mumbo-jumbo. I think they were more concerned with covering their ass. Lest they got sued out of their jobs for a civic lawsuit I would bring against them.

"Collins how are you feeling?" my doctor Jordan said coming in with my medical charts. I was glad to see him. My mother was by my side stroking my cheeks like I was a little boy. My dad was just sitting there reading a newspaper. I think I even saw the good doctor crack a smile at my predicament.

"Better than I was yesterday"

"That's good"

"So doc, let's just cut all the small talk and get straight to the point shall we?" I was never one for small talk.

"Umm you want to talk alone?"

"What? Why? What is wrong with my son? What do you want to talk to him in private? Why what is wrong?" my mom started to demand, in a panicked voice. My dad had set his paper down long enough. But he said nothing.

"Mom, mom, mom. It's okay." I said trying to calm her down. I let out a deep breath "Doc please go on"

"I am sorry Collins, but the heat and the impact from the accident caused irreversible damage" he said giving to me straight.

"What does that mean exactly" I was starting to fear for the worst. Was I dying or something?

"The chances of you having children ever are slim" He let it sink in.

I was wrong. This was worse of death. I would never be able to have children.

"How slim?" I asked calmly. Outside I was cool as a cucumber but inwardly I was panicking.

"There is a five percent chance of you ever conceiving" he replied. His voice was sad.

"No- nothing can be done?" my mom asked. Her hand on her heart. She always does this when she is scared or sad or desperate. Right now she is looking beyond sad and desperate.

"I am sorry but no. Nothing. It is always up to chance right now" he replied.

"Thank you doc"

"Anytime" he left the room.

"Mom, dad. I would like to be alone for now"

"Yes son. If you need anything. Anything at all, please call me" my dad said in a warm voice. But he had sadness in his voice. And in his eyes.

He had always been a family man. He always talked to me about settling down, starting a family. Oddly it was my mother who always got him off my case. Said I was young and needed time to get my act together before I settled down.

I sighed and settled back in the bed. I was screwed. I