Chap. 23

THIRD POV

The courtroom was in silence. Nothing could be said that would break the uncomfortable storm that had descended upon the people. Not one could begin to comprehend where to begin. The Honorable looked to and fro from plaintiff to counselor. He could see the horror and the anguish and the shock that were on each person's face. He had been on the bench for a long time but never in all his long years, had he witnessed or sat on a case that was so rigged with mystery and deception.

Clearing his throat to grab the attention of all those present in the room he questioned Nina

"Anything else to add, counselor?" in firm voice. He didn't know what to feel at the moment. Marvel at Nina's ruthlessness or pity it. He tried to keep an open mind but the more he heard and witnessed the more he was siding with one over the other.

"Yes" walking to her desk Jude handed her a bag. "Your Honor, these are the files that show the conversation between Mr. Chad and Mrs. Dwight"

The Judge nodded.

Then turning on her heels Nina waved her arm to Mr. Kathadoris "Your witness" then walked back to her seat.

"Thank you" Arnold answered standing up. "I have one question Mr. Chad"

He paused for dramatics.

"Why now? Why would you come out with your story after 3 decades?"

"Isn't it obvious?" he questioned.

Arnold just shook his head.

"I was never hard to find. Somebody just needed a motive and a reason. And the defense had the motive and reason. Unlike Mrs. Dwight who could not care if I lived or died. No I am sorry. She would love if I died" he finished his eyes changing to slits.

Arnold could only smirk. "I see. Well thank you. No more questions" before taking his seat. He was no fool. There was no possible way that he would take on Chad. Jude and Nina have drummed everything he should and should not say. They were the masters of manipulating their witnesses. The witnesses were puppets dancing to their strings. He could not risk Chad giving any information be it useful or not.

"The witness may step down" the Judge stated in a kind voice. As Chad walked to his seat he cast eyes on his half-brother who just wore an impassive mask on his face. Looking at him closely he could certainly see the similarities. Chad passed and sat at the back row. Diane's heart went out to him. What a life he led. Turning she gave him a warm smile which he returned with a small one of his own.

"Your Honor whilst this is still fresh in everyone's mind I would like to make some factual assumptions" Jude declared. This was a good time as any and he was going to push everything to the limits. He had a cow and he was going to milk it for all it was worth.

Sighing, the Judge had no choice but to allow him.

Jude walked to the center of the room clutching a paper with notes scribbled upon it. "Seeing as what we have just heard, I would like to state some points." Then he began to read. Or pretend to read. He had memorized and photographed every detail. The paper was really just a prop.

"In the interest and well-being of the children, it is within my own opinion that parents who do not wish to share custody of their children are worse off. In Ms. Reyes case she will have a very strong tendency to program her children to denigrate Mr. Collins Dwight and authority figures in general. This is because she has the inability to separate her emotional rejection and conflict with Mr. Dwight to focus on the needs of the child. It is my judgement that raising children in such environment will create emotional problems and sociopathic tendencies. They would lash out in anger and fear"