Chap. 4

Collins POV

For the past three weeks I had been hiding at my condo. For the first time I hated the social scene. I could not bear to be around family or friends or we'll wishers. I was ignoring every sing one of their calls. After a while they gave up on me. Even my mother.

No one could get through me. I mean what do you say to a person who is practically infertile? Nothing that's what. I was angry. I was almost 35 and my life was practically over.

All my hard work would be for nothing. It was practically useless, if I had no one to leave it for. All my efforts were useless. I had always wanted children, but I figured I had a couple more years. When I had left my mark and could focus my attention on my child. Giving them all the attention and love they will ever need.

Now that dream was practically gone. There was no need. I had gone to five different specialists. Their prognosis were all the same. Some worst than others. Some said I had less than a 3 percent chance of ever conceiving. I felt like less than a man. I know that sounded stupid but I could not help myself. I was beating and cursing myself and that day.

I wanted someone to hurt the same way I was hurting. I had achieved some of that by destroying the life if the truck driver who ran into me. He could not make bail and I could care less. What enraged me further was the fact he had two kids and another on the way. He got to go home to his kids but had denied me the privilege. My lawyer had set his bail equivalent to his mortgage. I was glad. He could rot in prison for all I care. My father was against but my mom totally supported it. Her defense was the man had taken part of my life away.

I poured myself another drink. It was past noon. Kids. The word made me feel like crying. If I had messed up a couple years ago I wouldn't be in this mess.

Wait that was it. I might have screwed up. Maybe I did have a child after all. One could never be to careful and I had had my fair share of women. Maybe one of them could have carried my child without me knowing. Though it would be difficult all the women I had an affair with had a non disclosure. And I always demanded a paternity test. But still there could be a chance.

With this I rushed to my phone to hire my PI. I got hold of my dad to tell him of my plan and seek his advice. We were close and he always stood by me. He thought it was a good shot.

With that I took life on with a new vigor. I was Collins. I always succeeded in all that I did. This was just like another business meeting or deal or project. Except this project was a life and death situation.

.........................................................................................
For the past 9 weeks my investigators had looked into every woman I ever had a relationship with. None of them ever was pregnant. We looked into every rock and crack. My girlfriend in high school, occasional hookups, past girlfriends from the last ten years etc. But it was always the same result. They never bore any child. Or even if they did it was a 100 percent not mine. We triple checked just to make sure.

Heck I had made 100s of checklist of women's name. I had asked my closest friends the Timmons kids to help. They were the only ones who knee of my situation. They offered every girl they could think off.
But each time they were crossed off.

I was getting more and more miserable and done respondent when the result came in negative. I was miserable, and it was having a toll on my health and my family. I was moody and intolerable. I had fired five assistants in the last 4 weeks. No one could get through me. And quite frankly I didn't want them to.

I had no choice. It was time to accept that it would take a miracle for me to sire a child.

I was glum. I think everyone was. They could see my expression and read that I was angry. To think that all this time I had always been so careful. I wish there was just one time that I had never been careful. Just once. When I had been too wild and careless and one of the women could have conceived my child.