Chapter Eight | Supermarket Stalking

"Are you seriously still mad at Flynn for last night?" Sophie asked half way out my door the following night. She had spent the whole day at my house, annoying Marley and trying to coax him into playing Xbox with her while I cleaned the house and did the laundry.

Dad had been at work, and had text earlier to say he would be working a late shift at the office so I had to get dinner ready for Marley and I, even though I did that most nights during the week anyway.

 "I'm not mad, I'm-"

"Pissed?"

"No-"

"Fuming?"

"Sophie, no I-"

"Have a raging pit of red hot anger burning a whole through your core?"

I stared at my best friend for a long moment, then shook my head slowly. "No more of those crime drama novels for you, okay?"

Sophie nodded, agreeing. "So if your not mad, why are you banging the pots like they stole your favourite socks and won't give them back?"

"Because," I sighed and put the pot I was washing down the second I realised she was right. "He treated me like a young teenager, like someone he could just boss around like he the authority to."

"Well, he did. He's a police officer."

"Yeah, yeah, I get that." I waved my hand in the air. "But still, I'm not a kid anymore. If I want to make a stupid decision, he should let me, not blackmail us into going home."

"The horror of having Flynn Morgan concerned about you. The horror." Sophie murmured with a smirk on her face. "At least he didn't arrest you again."

Sending her a hot glare, I glanced up at the clock and frowned because it was already 6.30 PM. The day had flown by, and I'd done nothing but clean. "Didn't you have something on today with your mum?"

Sophie sighed. "Oh, yeah. She wanted me to go shopping with her so we could find a dress for her annual towns dinner next week."

I raised my eyebrows because Sophie never passed up an opportunity when it came to shopping. Not even with her mother. "Why didn't you go?"

"My original plan was to blow her credit card up by buying the most expensive dress and heels I could find, but then I saw her latest toy boy leaving the house early yesterday morning, so I wasn't in the mood to even talk to her." Sophie explained, her face clouding over with disgust.

"Who was it this time?"

Sophie laughed bitterly, shaking her head. "You'll never believe it. It was the neighbours son. I go to college with him, he's my age and the witch was banging him so loudly the other night I slept in dad's old office downstairs. She's disgusting."

I sent her a sympathetic look, feeling a little of the anger Sophie always had inside her due to her mother's actions.

Sophie had had the perfect life when she was younger. Her father was a wealthy business man respected by the whole town, her mother was the beautiful woman who had caught his eye, and they'd lived comfortably in the huge house Sophie still lived in now as one big, happy family.

They were part of the social club, they went to all the towns functions, and once a year Sophie's mother threw an annual town dinner at their house where most of the younger generation and the wealthy townspeople attended. It looked as though she had the perfect home life that other people were envious of.

Then the pool boy came along. And the gardener.

Sophie's dad arrived home from a huge day at work one night, to find his wife spread over the kitchen table and getting it given to her by the guy he'd hired to clean their outdoor pool.