Chapter Thirty Four | Police Visit

It had been three days.

Three days of Sophie being at that safe house.

And I was going crazy. She'd rung each day, assuring me she was safe and she would be home soon, but it didn't stop me from worrying. I couldn't even contact her, because I wasn't allowed the number to the house and there was no way Adrian was giving me the address to the house itself.

I understood why, of course. but life still sucked balls without having Sophie around all the time.

Her mother had rung me yesterday, too. She was quick to explain that Sophie was actually out of town, staying at her aunts place for a few days because her aunt had been ill.

I hadn't been the most pleasant on the phone when I figured out that she was reciting to me the story that she was telling all of her rich friends.

She had noticed the snarly tone, of course. For a bitch, the woman was smart. I'd almost hung up when she mentioned bumping into my own mother just yesterday at the hair dressers.

"She's looking good for a woman who disappeared and left her family, don't you think?" She had said.

My reply hadn't been much better.

Besides life sucking balls because of no Sophie however, other things were going well. Flynn had finally let me leave his house the night of the kitchen counter incident, and I'd gotten hardly any sleep the night before because he had text me up into the early hours.

For a police officer, he sure didn't sleep all that much.

Especially when him and Stan as well as most of the station were working on clearing up the bust they'd done on the gang warehouse during the fight club night. Things were...tense on the streets at the moment.

The front door swinging open brought me out of the half asleep state I was in on the lounge couch, and I watched as Marley trudged inside, his bag hanging off one shoulder and his face drawn tight. 

"Hey," He said when he saw me lying on the couch, staring at him. Feeling like a slight creeper, I stood up and smiled, stretching at the same time.

"How was school?" 

Marley snorted, rolling his eyes. "I would have rather not have gone." 

I let out a little laugh. Marley had started school Monday, and he'd been back four days. As far as I could tell, he was doing fine, which quelled the butterflies in my stomach everytime I thought about the hard time he could get at school.

Not that Marley needed my help, he was one of the strongest people I knew, and probably would ever know.

And at eighteen. 

"Hey, is it okay if Jag and Archer come over tonight?" Marley asked, and I nodded without hesitation. 

Marley had filled me in about why he'd dragged his new friend Archer into our house the other week, bleeding and half naked, and at first, I'd been fuming.

Fuming that he'd gone to the warehouse. Fuming that Jag had encouraged him. Just fuming in general. 

Then he told me about Archer, and I understood. He didn't give me the full story, because it was Archer's and Marley knew better than anyone how it felt when someone shared your secrets with others without you knowing. 

My little secret keeper, holding more for someone else.

"Are they staying for dinner? Because Flynn's coming over too." I replied, and Marley shot me a teasing look. I tried to ignore it, but the blush made its way onto my face faster than I could try and stop it. 

"Is he staying the night?"

"He might be." 

"Harlow, Harlow, Harlow, sleepovers with a boy. Dads not going to be happy." Marley sang as I picked up a pillow and threw it at him.