Chapter Eleven.

Elle adored Daryl. There was no simpler way to put it. After I caught her telling him stories about me, she followed him everywhere. She listened to everything that he said; every word. And I've caught her over the last couple of days, picking up sticks so that she could pretend that they were arrows.
And he kept his word the other day too. After he had gone out looking for Carol's little girl, Sophia, he came back and kept Elle company until it was her bed time, letting her tell him stories of random occasions. A lot of them were about Chase and I. And it made me feel all warm, listening to Elle talk about her daddy like that. She smiled through out the whole time and waved her hands animatedly during her story telling. I was glad and happy that Daryl was able to sit through a couple of hours of Elle's constant chatting, and he managed to look entertained and purely interested in what it was that she was saying.
Since that moment, Elle followed him everywhere. It was amusing to see him wandering around their camp and turning around to find Elle literally walking in this foot steps.
Daddy hated what I was allowing Elle to do. He said I was being irresponsible as a parent. That I shouldn't be encouraging such behavior; that she shouldn't be allowed to interact with strangers on a daily bases. But are they even really strangers anymore? They've been here a week already. And they've settled in nicely. We've all fallen into a pattern. They know their boundaries and we know ours. (not that we should have boundaries, considering we own this land.) But it works. And I've gotten to know a lot of the newcomers. Although, I've found that I like Carols company the most. We can relate a lot of things and I'd like to think that I was somehow helping her cope -distracting her for the time being from Sophia, so that she focus on something else.
But there were the occasions that i would just sit with her and let her talk about her daughter. She told me stories about her. And my heart went out to her every time that she got chocked up. She loved her daughter more than anything in this world and to have her taken away from her, she was devastated. But I was jealous of how capable she was at hiding behind a facade. During the day she went about her duties, like a normal person would. She didn't complain -not that I can see Carol as someone who would complain- and she looked completely composed. I wouldn't have been able to do that. I wouldn't have been able to pretend that everything would be alright if I lost Elle.

"Good morning," I greeted , Carol and Lori. They were hanging up wet washing on their home-made line tied between two trees. "Want one?" I put a large bowl of apples on the picnic table next to them and took a seat. Carol and Lori both took one.
"Morning, Nora. Sleep well?" Carol asked politely.
I smiled. "I did, thank you. Did you get anymore sleep?"
Her face was downcast. Her eyes drooped with fatigue and stress and the shadows under her eyes were growing by the day. "A little." I could see the lie obviously but I didn't say anything and let it go.
"Where's Elle?" Lori asked, hanging a sheet up.
"She's with Beth. Helping her with the chickens." I said. "They're her favourite animal."
"Chickens? They're her favourite animal?"
I laughed. "Yeah. I've always found that slightly weird too. Out of all the exotic animals out there she's obsessed with Chickens."
"Well she does live on a farm." Carol said.
My smiled faded as images of our actually home flashed through my mind. It wasn't that far into town, actually. When Chase and I moved in together I didn't want to leave my family. I was too attached and Chase completely understood. It was our third year anniversary and he had arranged something secret. Something that everyone in the family knew but me. He picked me up, blindfolded me and took me into town. I remember asking him question after question and all he did was chuckle and grab my hand, holding it as he drove. He stopped and disappeared from the truck only to reappear opening my door and helping me out. He muttered something and then swept my feet out from underneath me, holding me bridal-style. It was annoying how vividly I could remember the whole thing. It was painful. I remember trusting him with everything that I had and just wrapped my arms around his neck, kissing his cheek and letting him carry me where ever it was he wanted to. And I never even expected what was to come. He wanted to make that year special and he did. I'll always be able to remember what he showed me, how he held me, how he told me he loved me and would for the rest of his life. And that was all leading up to the next stage of our lives.
It was a house. He'd bought a house in town for us and he'd kept it secret for days just to surprise me. . . And I was surprised. Pleasantly so. I never expected it. But I loved it. It was a small cottage on the edge of town that was everything that i had dreamed. And I was glad that Elle had gotten the chance to live there and love it just as I had for the four years that she'd been alive.
"I guess that does have some influence." I agreed halfheartedly. I didn't want to make Carol feel bad and I didn't necessarily want to share any stories about Chase either.
"What was it like to grow up somewhere like this? It's so isolated." Lori said, looking around, gazing out at the untouched land.
I shrugged. "It's not that bad. I never really felt the isolation until everything changed months ago. Then it hit hard. Before it was quiet. But that was just how I was raised. I was used to it, but before I also knew that there were people around if I needed them or want to interact. Now," I sighed. "now I feel isolated."
"How did you remain untouched by the virus?" Carol asked softly.
I bit my lip. "We didn't."
Well, that seemed to end whatever conversation we were having.
"I'm sorry." She whispered "I didn't mean it."
"So," I said, changing the subject. "What are your plans for the day?"
"The same thing we've been doing the past couple of days."
"Do you need any help with it today?" I offered.
Carol and Lori smiled but otherwise shook their heads. "As nice as it is for you to offer, you've already done so much for us."
"I haven't done that much."
Lori rolled her eyes. "Fine; your family that you're a part of have helped us with already too much. We don't want to be a burden."
"Trust me, in the world we're living in now, you lot are't the burden."
Carol smiled at that and nodded, going back to hanging up some of the wet clothes.
"Are you sure you two don't want any help?"
"Positive. But thank you," Carol placed a small hand on my shoulder before grabbing another shirt.
Lori took a seat beside me, grabbing another piece of fruit.
"How's your son doing?" I asked.
She chewed her bite and sighed. "Much better. Your father is a miracle worker. He's awake now and his wounds are healing really slowly but he's not in as much pain anymore and he's definitely going to live."
"That's great. I'm sorry that you had to go through that. I can understand what you were feeling and it's awful isn't it?" I looked across the yard and saw Beth leading Elle back from the Chicken coop. She held her hand as Elle jumped around, spinning -or trying to- in circles.
"What happened to her?"
I glanced at Lori and found that she was watching Elle too. I looked back over and frowned. "She got sick; really sick. The kind of sick that even the doctors weren't sure she was going to survive." I forced a smile. " But she did. But I know what it feels like to feel useless and pathetic because there's nothing that we can do to help."
Lori hummed. "I don't remember feeling so awful before. It was like a heavy sinking feeling in my stomach and every time that I saw him lying there unconscious my body's instant reaction was to cry."
"That's normal." I said comfortingly.
She shrugged. " I hated it."
"Well, just think about how Carl's going to be fine. He's alive and recovering." I placed a hand gently onto her shoulder and looked over to Carol who was just hanging up the last wet piece of clothing.
"I have a question for you, Nora." She said as she hooked the empty basket under her arm.
"Shoot."
Out of the corner of my eye I saw Lori flinch and I felt bad about not thinking about my words.
"You and your family have done so much for us the past week and I felt like it was time we did something for you, so I was wondering whether it would be possible to cook you guys dinner tonight?"
Lori seemed to brighten up at the suggestion and I actually thought that it was a pretty good idea. I liked it. "I don't see why not."
"Would your father be alright with it?"
No. "Of course, he won't mind at all." I lied. He's hate it. Every single moment of the evening. And If I was only a couple years younger something like this would have definitely have resulted in some kind of punishment. But I didn't care. These people were nice and thoughtful. They wanted to give back, they hating taking even though there was no other way. They wanted to help.
I smiled. "I think it's a great idea." I looked around for a moment before my eyes landed on just the person I was looking for. "Maggie!" I called over.
The basket of eggs in her hand almost slipped at her fright and I laughed at her impish smile. She made her way over.
"What can I do ya for?"
I poked my thumb at Carol. "She wanted to cook dinner for us tonight. I said it was fine-" She shot me a look and I knew what it meant. 'Are you crazy?' "-And I was hoping that you could show her around the kitchen and maybe set up the dining room so that we can have everyone inside."
Maggie smiled, although it was a bit strained. "Sure. The dining room needs a bit of cleaning too."
"Maybe Elle'll want to help out." I suggested.
Maggie laughed. "You want the room clean, don't you."
I rolled my eyes. "She's not that bad. Give her a corner to clean that way if she makes more mess it's only in once place."
"I'll ask. But if she says no, I'm not going to force her, plus she's with Beth and you know how she gets when they spend the day together."
I completely forgot about that and I was quickly struck by panic. My eyes widened. "Oh my god." I skimmed my eyes over where I had seen them earlier but they were gone. Now, it's not that I don't trust Beth at all because I do. . . Kinda. But it's Elle that I really don't trust. She's mischievous and likes messing with things that she shouldn't and Beth doesn't help. She lets Elle make a mess everywhere all the time. They're fine together outside because I don't have to clean up after them both but when they go inside it becomes a disaster. When Chase, Elle and I used to come around for diner. Elle would gradually find her way upstairs into Beth's room, freaking both Chase and I out in the process and then when we do manage to find her she's a state, along side Beth. When Beth and Elle are together it's hard to believe that Beth is actually 16 years old.
"I saw them disappear into the house about ten minutes ago." Maggie informed.
"And you didn't follow them?!"
"I'm sure Beth has it under control."
"When has beth ever had Elle under control. Elle has all the power over her. Her stupid, adorable eyes." I mumbled.
I hopped off of the table, grabbed the basket of fruit. "Maggie'll show you everything that you need. Have fun and thank you. Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go and give my daughter a bath."
As I was walking past Maggie she grabbed my arm. "Dad's going to hate this." She whispered.
"I know. But we're not and whether he likes it or not they're here and they're not going anywhere for a while. He just has to deal with it."'
"You're pushing him. Why?"
"Because he hasn't changed, Mags. He's still closed minded and as much as I wish he didn't, he's still judging me on all of my choices like he did before the world changed. I'm beginning to see why we went so long without talking."

As soon as I entered the house I knew where Elle was. It's where she always manages to disappear off too. Beth's room. And the loud thud that resonated through the house and shook the chandeliers only confirmed my thoughts as I raced up the stairs.
Please don't have made a mess. I pushed open the door and I sighed heavily. The door creaked and both girls froze. Beth was sat on the floor with her legs crossed and Elle was stood in front of her a make-up brush in her hand that was poised in front of Beth's face. Beth's eyes snapped open and looked up at me wide-eyed and Elle seemed to just stiffen animatedly, almost comically. You could see her visibly stiffen as she knew that she'd been caught but my gaze was focused on Beth. Her face was red and not from embarrassment but from the copious amounts of blusher and lipstick. Elle's face wasn't any better, there wasn't one tiny area that hadn't been touched by make-up and that went for the floor around them too. Eye shadow power was being smudged into the carpet.
"Really?" I said sourly. "How many time do I have to tell you both? Elle, you're not allowed make-up, especially if all you're going to do is coat yourself in it and the carpet. Do you know how hard it is to get this stuff out?"
Elle dropped the make-up brush and fell back onto her bottom.
"And Beth, seriously? This is your room, do you really want it covered in make-up?"
She shrugged.
"Well, I don't want to have to keep cleaning up after you both. So, stop. Alright. This is the last time Elle's allowed in your room.
"But momma-"
"Not now, Janelle. C'mon, bath time."
Her face fell into a pout and she crossed her arms over her chest defiantly.
"Janelle, up, now."
She shook her head and I glowered. "Now, Janelle. Don't make me start counting."
She faltered for just a moment and glanced at Beth but quickly shook her head again. "I want you out of this room in five seconds. One," I copied her and crossed my arms over my chest. "Two." She didn't move. "Three." She began to squirm and grow antsy. "Four," Her eyes were wide and filled with tears. "Don't make me get to five, Janelle."
I gave her a pointed look and opened my mouth slowly and before I could even pronounce the f she was on her knee's crawling towards me. I exhaled heavily. I've never had to do that before. Threaten her with the count down. That was Chase' thing. I always left the discipline to Chase when Elle was naughty. He was always wrapped around her little finger but he knew that sometimes she had to be punished otherwise she'd never learn. But I couldn't do it. I didn't like having to tell her of like this and usually when I did, she would have normally done what I asked first time.
Elle sat at my feet and hugged my leg. "I'm sorry, please don't count."
I crouched down and scooped her into my arms as hers arms wrapped around my neck and she hid her face into the crook of my shoulder and neck. "Bath time, Elle."