Chapter One

'Momma,” A small voice called from across the room. The bedroom door creaked as it was pushed open slowly and then clicked shut again. A tired smile pulled at my lips at the familiar voice but I kept my eyes closed firmly and snuggled more into my pillow.

The room was silent for a moment and I wondered briefly whether I imagined it before until the quiet slap of tiny bare feet sounded against the wooden floor.

“Momma?” The voice came again but this time from directly in front of me. Even with my eyes closed I knew they were stood extremely close to my face. Their breath fanned out over me and small strands of hair tickled my cheeks.

“Momma,” They whispered. “Are you awake?”

A small pudgy finger poked my cheek...and then again and again. I slowly opened one eye and it connected with the beautiful green ones of my daughter staring at me. I let the other flutter open to look at her more clearly and chuckled at her dishevelled appearance. Her eyes were wide and tired, here golden brown hair standing on end in almost every direction possible and she stood in her pink butterfly pyjamas.

“Morning, Baby. Sleep well?” I asked quietly, whilst shuffled backwards. I pulled the covered back and the little one crawled in, cuddling up to me. I draped the duvet over her and wrapped her in my arms. One of my hands started playing around with her hair,soothing it back away from her face and trying to flatten it as much as possible, whilst the other held her hand gently. Her head rested on my chest.

“...Yeah.” She replied hesitantly.

My fingers paused on her hair for a moment, before continuing. “What's wrong?”

She didn't answer, instead she cuddled closer into my body as if I had the power to take away all of her bad thoughts and I'd like to think that I did.

“Janelle,” I said sternly. “What's wrong?”

“I-I had a bad dream, Momma.” She stuttered. “I-it was so scary. I was all alo-ne,” Her voice cracked and I knew instantly that she was close to tears. I pulled her in tighter to me and rubbed her back soothingly.

“It's okay, Baby. Momma's here.” I cooed softly in her ear.

I felt her swallow thickly and then fidget around. I loosened my hold on her and she quickly sat up facing me and crossed her legs. Her green eyes were swimming with un-shed tears and I hated it. Seeing Janelle cry always broke my heart. She was too kind hearted and innocent to ever have to shed a single tear, but it was inevitable now with the way the world had drastically changed. Who could blame a four year old for crying in a world that had- in a simplified form- ended?

“Y-you were one of them... You left me all alone.” The tears slid slowly down her pink chubby cheeks and dripped off of her chin leaving dark splodges on her pyjamas.

I sat up quickly. “Shhh,” I cupped her cheeks and wiped away her falling tears. “I would never leave you, Janelle. Okay? Never.” I said strongly. “None of us would.”