Chapter Two

“Don't you looked beautiful, Elle.” I complimented as she walked out of her bedroom and gave me a twirl.

Her dress looked adorable on her -a little big, but I think that when it was bought, her daddy expected her to eventually grow into it. This was actually the first time she's worn it since it was bought for her. She kept saying that it was to be used for a special occasion. So why did she suddenly decide now was the right time?

“Thank you, Momma.” She extended her hand up and I grabbed it in my own firmly.

“Let go and see what Aunt Maggie has made for breakfast.” I said.

As soon as the word 'breakfast' left my lips, Elle's grip tightened on my hand and starting dragging me down the hallway behind her towards the kitchen.

Voice's and the clanging of plates could be heard from the end of the hallway.

“Momma, come on!” Elle pulled me harder, and it was amusing to see the little four year trying to tug an adult down a hallway. Although I knew better than to hold her back, so I played along and let her tow me to where she wanted me to go.

When we came to the doorway of the kitchen, Elle's grip on me loosened and she let go waddling over to her designated kitchen seat at the end of the table and climbed on.

“Morning, Nora. Sleep well?” An old voice spoke from behind me.

I turned around and stepped out of the doorway to come face to face with my daddy. His white hair slicked back like usual and he was dressed in his normal every day clothes, a white button down shirt tucked into his brown trousers that were being held up by suspenders.

I grinned at him and moved to give him a hug. “Mornin' daddy. I slept great until a little someone woke me up.”

Daddy pulled away from me with his own grin. “That's the price of having children, Sweetheart.”

“And I wouldn't change it for the world.” I replied although I realised as soon as I said it, that wasn't the best thing to have said in a time like this. The world really had gone to hell -and my daddy probably would have scolded me if I had said that out-loud. He's a very religious man, and so are my sisters, I don't quite follow in their beliefs...I did, at one point. But how can someone's faith remain when everything you've ever known had changed.

“Breakfast is ready you two.” Maggie's voice called from the kitchen.

Daddy patted me on the back and gave me a soft shove into the room. “Lets eat.”

“Momma! Pancakes!” Elle said excitedly as I entered the room. She beamed up at me and pointed to her plate that had two small pancakes on.

“Did you say 'thank you?'” I asked, placing a quick kiss to her forehead and the pulling out the seat next to her.