Chapter Three

The summer breeze was nice, it was warm as it washed over me. I had always loved the summer, it was a more freeing season, you weren't restricted to staying indoors playing board games, wrapped up in a large woollen blanket with a mug of hot coco. Although I'm ain't complaining about that. Ma momma's hot coco was mouthwatering, I craved it almost every day. We used to run out everyday -more often than not. But I wouldn't change it for anything. It was a nuisance having to travel into town every other day but they were memories I now treasured. The moments ma momma was still here.

She was as beautiful older woman and I could only hope I looked half as good as she did if I ever manage to make it to her age. With the new world around us, I'm not holdin' out for it, but one needs to hope for something and this is mine.

She was kind and thoughtful and never seemed to think any harsh thoughts about anyone -not even the rude old lady who constantly threw glares our way whenever we were in town. I could never figure out what her problem was with us, but I didn't really care. It might sound spiteful and ungodly but she's probably one of the infected if not dead.

If ma momma heard me say -or even knew I thought something that ghastly she'd have punished me instantly.

“Help!” A voice cried sharply. My head snapped up in the direction it came and my eyes widened. A man came running in our direction, his sheriff uniform blood soaked and he had a young boy cradled in his arms.

I was on my feet, instantly alert. “Daddy!” I shouted. My eyes never left the man struggling towards us across our lawn.

The door screen was pushed open behind me and I could feel the presence of my family crowding around outside. Elle quickly came to me, hiding behind my legs. It was the first time we'd seen someone who wasn't infected since the entire thing had started, and I wasn't quite sure what that meant. Has there finally been a cure created? Is the world finally going to fall back into it's rightful place?... Or is this proof that we can survive this vengeful apocalypse? We're not as alone as I originally thought, that has to mean something...Right?

The man stumbled to a stop just before the porch steps, his face was pale and his eyes with stricken with both pain and fear.

Daddy stepped forward. “Was he bit?” He demanded.

The man frantically shook his head. His grip on the boy tightening almost protectively as if the thought was preposterous. Instantly I could see the connection, it was his son. He was holding his injured son. I could see the familiar look in his eye, the same look Chase once held for Elle. “S-shot by your man.” He stammered. His eyes watered as he digested his own words. It was almost like everything had been moving slowly for him the last few moments and he was only just beginning to understand the severity of his given situation.

“Otis?” Patricia's voice spoke up from behind us all.

The man took no notice, his complete attention trained primarily on daddy. “He said to find Hershel -Is-is that you?” He voice broke and I felt my heart ache for him. I moved my hand behind me to grab a hold of Elle's to make sure she was still with me.

“Help me! Help my boy!” He cried and took another weak step forward. He was loosing it. Slowly but surely and I couldn't blame the man.

Then everyone began to move. Daddy gently pushed me to the side out off the way and I took Elle with me, she didn't need to be involved with this.

“Get him inside- Inside!” Daddy called out quickly, ushering them in. Everyone followed behind, ready to have instructions tossed their way, but I stayed behind outside on the porch with Elle. It was already crowded enough inside and I didn't want to add another two people who would just end up getting in the way. I wouldn't have been much help as it was -mass amounts of blood was not something I can endure for long periods of time. It made me sick to my stomach, and little Elle wasn't the best either but that was to expected from a four old girl. Plus I think the pure curiosity of the situation would fall down heavy on her. She'd want to know everything.