Choice Words

Juliet of Dundee Chpt. 4

Pater

"So," I began as I looked back over Miss Monroe. "Why was a legend like you hiding in Dundee?" I took a curl of her red hair and spun it around my finger. Emmie only glared at me in disgust and tried to yank it away, only causing herself more pain.

"You're not going anywhere," I stated flatly. Emmie glanced around her at the rest of the crew. Some had already returned to rest, others were preparing the sails, for we were to leave on the hour, now that the wind was picking up.

"Stouts!" I called, searching for him on the foresail.

"Pater?" he called back. I raised my brow at him, correcting him on his disrespectful remark. "Sir?"

"Let down the foresail, will you? You're taking longer than a landlubber!" I turned back to Emmie, who was toying with something at her side. When she caught that I had eyes on it, she froze.

"Give," I said flatly, holding out my hand. Emmie only rolled her eyes and removed her hand from the ropes grasp. She held out a small dirk.

I raised my brow at this. How was it that this could have snuck past me? I raised my hand to take it from her, taking my cutlass out as a precaution.

But just as I was about to grab the weapon, Emmie ran - yes; ran. Somehow she'd managed to cut the ropes and free herself and still make it look as if she were still trapped. I ran after her as she dashed for the starboard side. The men on deck and on the beams quickly caught sight of the predicament and stopped all they were doing to watch and then proceed to chase after her as well, some having to dodge out of the way.

Emmie had just reached the side when I tackled her.

"Let go of me!" she demanded. "This is no way to treat a lady!" she growled.

"You are no lady! You're a wretched pirate, just like the rest of us. You're just as damned to the Locker as us all!" Emmie squirmed and shoved and somehow managed to get her dirk to me neck. I breathed a heavy, stressful sigh. This was just annoying; she was just annoying! Now she was in control; no way was I losing my head right before an adventure! Or had I lost it already?

"Cap'n! Got a little time on yer hands?" Emmie yelled to my father, calling him from his cabin.

Within a moment or two my father came to the door of his cabin and stepped out. There was no point in this; I knew my father cared more of the treasure then of me. Typical. That's why we left my mother and little sister behind; treasure. He then had made me become a pirate, trained me, whatever you'd like to call it; but he shaped me into what I had become.

A monster.

By now the crew on deck had gathered around. Some had come up from below decks to catch the action.

"Off. Now." Emmie sneered. I stood to my feet and she followed. I nearly took off but she was too quick. Within a split second she stood behind me, the dirk to my throat again.

"Now, now, Emmie. Are you sure you'd like to do that?"

"Oh, frankly, I'm very sure."

"Really? You and I both know that you wan' the treasure." Emmie hesitated. "And you and I both know that it would be at a bigger benefit for ya if ya came along. What is there for ya in this town?" Father had proceeded down towards Emmie and I, the crew clearing a path as he slowly made his way to us. "Why would you stay here?" He circled around us over and over again, killing Emmie with his eyes, just staring her down. She never took her eyes off him, though, following his every move.

"I felt like it," Emmie replied, not sounding as confident as I'd thought she might have.

"Ah, but why did you feel like it? Was it a boy?" My father leaned in close, whispering that last part into her ear.

"No!" she scoffed.

"Of course not," Father smirked. He stopped when he got behind her and there was a pause.

"I'll blow him down! I swear on Davy Jone's Locker! I'll be damned before I stay here with you bilge-sucking barnacles! Ya blundering idiots will pay for wha' ya've do-" After a brief moment there was some sort of pressurized noise and Emmie dropped to the floor, appearing to be dead. Even though she had seemed to fall unconscious, Emmie's blade had still nicked me, and a small ribbon of blood was slowly flowing down me neck. I looked at me father, somewhat confused as to what he had done to our 'captive'.

"Relax, Pater. She barely felt a thing."

"You killed her?" I asked bluntly.

"You stupid dog! Of course not!" he paused. "If I'd wanted to do that, I would have done so already."

In that moment I bent down and looked over the unconscious girl who was lying face down on the deck. I moved her curly red hair out of the way and saw what appeared to be some sort of dart. I clenched my jaw and looked up at my father.

"Really?"

"Like I said, she barely felt a thing."

And with that he strode back off to his cabin and we set sail within the hour.

Some legend.