Shackles and Questionable Freedom

Juliet of Dundee Chpt. 6

Juliet

I sat in darkness for what seemed like forever. Hours and hours passed by as I sat with me arms shackled to the wall. I played around with them for a time, finding that they were, as predicted, inescapable. I gave an unamused sigh.

As if on cue, that familiar glow once again filled the room.

"Blue-eyes?" I called.

After a moment a face appeared before the bars.

Stouts.

"Cap'n said to bring you to your room."

Me heart lightened a bit. I was finally getting' out of here. Stouts opened the cell door and entered the cell.

"Well, aren't ya gonna take these things off me?" I shook me hands around, the shackles clanking. Stouts moved closer. Still closer. "Stouts," I warned. "Get away from me." His face was nearing mine.

"My Faer Red, wouldn't you rather stay here with me?"

"No, no I would most certainly not!" I shoved him away from me. Stouts seemed taken aback about this and he snarled.

"You probably shouldn't have done that, girl." He lunged at me, and there was no way of me stopping him. I screamed. Don't judge me - of course I screamed!

"Stouts!" a voice called from the shadows.

Stouts froze and stood to his feet.

"Sir," he acknowledged.

"Blue-eyes!" I cried. I wasn't happy - I was just relieved that Stouts would have to leave.

"Get away from her."

"Are you defending a prisoner? I'm not so sure your father would be so happy about this."

"Get out of here Stouts. My father didn't even send for you to get her."

Stouts cursed underneath his breath and went back above deck. Silence followed. Pater then walked into the cell and freed my wrists. As his hands moved over me wrists, freeing me from me bonds, I got shivers down me spine. What was wrong with me?

"Come," was all he said. I hesitated and followed as he made his way up to the top deck. When I took in that first breath of the fresh, salty air, I held back a smile but failed to hold back at least a pleased look.

"Amazing, isn't it?" Pater sighed. I didn't reply, just looked out to the horizon. Apparently it was sunset.

"You saved me," I said, unable to actually thank him. He didn't reply, just continued to look out to sea.

"Come," he repeated, rolling his eyes. I followed as he led me down a corridor off the deck which appeared to be underneath the captain's cabin. I looked around me at the planks on the walls. I couldn't help but notice small splotches of blood here and there. I didn't comment on it, but I planned on makin' a rude remark 'bout it sooner or later.

As I tried to figure out something smart and cunning to say to him, Pater stopped at a door and swung it open for me.

"Your room."

I stepped inside and took a look around. It was a decent sized room, including a hammock, a small desk, a small chest in the corner, and a porthole for lightin'.

"There are candles in the chest."

"Got anymore surprises for me Blue-eyes?" I held back a smirk. Pater began to close the door.

"You're to be locked in here during night until further notice." The door squeaked shut and I waited for the click of the key. I let me nerves ease a bit, but felt 'em sharpen when the door flew open again. "I'll give my father that list."

And with that, he left me alone once more.