Melodies and Memories

Juliet of Dundee Chpt. 9

Juliet

"I'm surprised, Blue-eyes," I started as I took a step up the stairs. "You've gotten a wee bit faster at recognizin' me remarks. 'Tis an improvement." I turned on the stairs and smiled down at him. "I'm almost proud," I added as I winked and made me way up the rest of the stairs to the main deck.

The couple of hours had passed slowly, but the watch had finally come. I'd lived out a small infinity in that room and was about ready to jump out the porthole when Pater finally arrived.

I listened as Blue-eyes followed me into the coolness of the humid but clear night. At least most of the night was clear. The sky above and the waters around us were clear, but the horizon was hidden from view along with the rest of the sea from about three hundred feet on all sides of the ship. It was like there was a force holding back all the fog from the ship, like Poseidon was in our favor tonight.

"Here," Pater pulled me out of my daze with his melodious voice. I turned to him and found that he'd held out my dearest of treasures.

A fiddle.

I quickly snatched it from his arms and positioned it on me shoulder. How long had I waited to play? Had it not been about a month since I'd boarded this ship? Oh, the agony of being parted from my grandest pleasure in life - music. Real music.

Before Pater could even say a word I began to play any song that came to mind. Every song that came to mind. For what seemed like just a few minutes turned into hours as I danced with my instrument, swaying side to side as if to sway with the gentle sway of the sea below. The strings sang their tones sweetly, the air seemed more fresh, the stars shined brighter.

Everything was perfect.

Then there was one last song. Just one last song that needed playing.

The Nameless Sailor Ditty.

Slowly I played the tune my mother would sing me to sleep with as a child. It told the legend of something that was supposedly to come. My mother taught it to me as truth, like it was the story of someone I could know or very well be. As I played the tune, I remembered. My mother and her death. My brother and his betrayal. My father and his hatred... Margaret and her encouragement and care. Pater and his sarcasm and spitefulness, that I had to admit I enjoyed.

"Look beyond the ocean deep,
underneath the ground it sleeps.
There you'll find the World Beneath,
a world full of mystery.

Sail me lads, sail me lads,
King of the Caribbean find!
He'll capture you with words so bold,
Just like the ancient tales of old.

Ruler of the World Beneath,
she rules with pride and dignity.
In her you shall keep your faith,
She'll steal your heart and keep it safe.

Sail me lads, sail me lads,
King of the Caribbean find!
He'll capture you with words so bold,
Just like the ancient tales of old.

Two queens shall rise up from the dark,
there is truth inside their hearts.
They will sing this melody,
linked as one in harmony.

Sail me lads, sail me lads,
King of the Caribbean find!
He'll capture you with words so bold,
Just like the ancient tales of old.

Sail me lads, sail me lads,
King of the Caribbean find!
You hold the answers in your heart,
just leave your pain behind. . ."