The Cabin Boy

Juliet of Dundee Chpt. 13

Juliet

"Stouts," Pater asked hesitantly as he shuffled in front of me, seemingly shielding me from the potentially serious threat standin' before us.

"Yes, Pater?" he said with a vibrant English tone. "What might be the problem?"

I watched as Pater's lips parted to speak, but no sound came from them. He just froze and looked at me, his eyes wide; the pressure of the moment had gotten to him. Or had he seen somethin'?

I looked around to see the reason for the baffled look on his face. All too soon I saw. One by one men came out of the shadows, each and every one armed and dangerous. I took a step back, Pater did just the opposite as he stepped forward and unsheathed his cutlass.

Following his lead I pulled out a hidden dagger from me boot.

"What's going on Stouts?" I demanded as the men flooded onto the deck. There had to have been every crew member on deck now! Even the cabin boys who seemed weak at a time had now become dark, shady, strong - basically rather intimidatin' - figures surroundin' us.

"Nothing but the obvious," he retorted as he contorted his face into an evil grin.

"Mutiny," Pater breathed. Were these bloody men out of the minds?!

"But why? Why even do this now? Were a month away from the Source! Why even do this so early? You could have just let us lead you right to it!" I cried.

"Pff, you know nothing. Our leader has assured us that there is great reward in doing so now..."

"What?" Pater frowned. "You mean you aren't responsible for this mutiny?"

"Aye," Stouts sighed. "Though I'm flattered you'd think that - I do believe I'm blushing..." Stouts laughed, the crew followed with bellowing laughs and cackles.

I glanced at Pater worriedly. This was a dangerous situation to be in. Could it be Pater had planned to take down Stouts had he been the leader? But now that we hadn't a clue, what more could we do? And where was the captain in this mess?

"Then who is it?" I frowned knowin' that if they chose to tell us it meant that they weren't worried, that we were dispensable.

There was a sudden loud crash and bang in the direction of the cap'n's cabin. Well that answered me question about the captain. Another clash and smash and the door to the cabin was violently thrown open.

There was a pause that lasted for what seemed like an eternity before finally there was the face. Two souls came through the door. One was lifeless, blood drippin' from his side, the other covered by a lopsided bandana that covered one eye.

The head at the entrance to me cabin door. The cabin boy.

Everyone watched in silence as the boy walked with his head down and dragged the lifeless body of the captain behind him. He stood at the balcony lookin' out over the men and dropped Captain Bernard's body on the floorboards.

After a short paused that he'd spent looking out over his men, the boy who'd Pater called Hawk let out a battle cry that was soon joined by those of the men.

I couldn't breath. I couldn't talk. I couldn't move. My heart pounded and ached as I forced myself to look at Pater, and what I saw nearly caused tears to well up in me eyes.

There by me side was Pater in a similar state as I, but much, much worse.

"Pater," I squeezed out. "I am so, so sorry-"

"NO!" he yelled as he dashed for his father. Men from all directions launched at him, two taking his arms, one of the two placin' a shank to his neck.

LEAVE HIM ALONE!!!

Everyone stopped and looked at me as I directed my blade towards the man who threatened the only other person on this ship that I had any chance of trusting. Apparently I hadn't said that in me head...

Pater kept fighting, pulling at the men, trying everything he could in order to aid his father.

"It's too late, you know," a cold, young voice said. I looked up at Hawk who'd clearly been the one to say it. Everyone stared as Hawk jumped down from the balcony and stood before Pater and I. Once again I came face to face with the boy who had struck me as familiar. One bright green eye stared at me, the other remained hidden behind a red cloth. "He's dead."

A pang hit me chest so hard that I took a step back. How could he be so heartless? He was a boy no older than fourteen! And that was Pater's father!

"Hand over your weapon and your precious first mate will go free."

"I highly doubt that," I retorted at the ultimatum. "How do I know if you'll hurt him?"

"You don't," Hawk shrugged. Even this gesture was disturbingly similar. When I hesitated to lower me weapon, Hawk whipped out his hand and took it in the blink of an eye, with lightnin' speed.

How did he?

I looked at him completely baffled. This was so unexpected. The moment became more and more eerie as the fog of the mornin' thickened.

"Bind them," Hawk ordered and the men did exactly what they were told.

"Get your hands off me!" I demanded as the men pulled Pater and I towards the main mast. Once we were bound, Hawk and Stouts approached us. Hawk moved closer and closer, mountin' himself up on his tiptoes to even our height.

Slowly I watched as he removed the bandana from his left eye. The first thing I noticed was the scar on his cheekbone the next the bright gold color of his eye. Gasping I squirmed in my bonds.

I knew exactly who he was, what was going on, and what was about to happen.

"No! No, no, no! It can't be you! It just can't! You filthy bastard! You killed her! You killed our mother! You did this! You betrayed us! You monster!" Tears streamed down me face as I screamed and screamed. "He's here isn't he? This is all his doin'? He's the one following us isn't he? ISN'T HE?!"

"Emmie," Pater asked, his face pale. "What's going on? Who is he?"

"H-he-he's my..."

"Brother."

A deep chill washed over the ship as a fog rolled in.

He was here. He was comin'.

A loud creek was sent through the fog. The sound of a ship approachin'. Deep purple sails peaked through their gray veil. Evil chuckles were sent through the blindfold, men dropping from above to land on The Serpent.

He was here.

My father.