7 | The Tutor {edited}

Two weeks later, Katie Bell was still in a curse-induced coma. She had been moved to St. Mungos the day of the attack, but we had received no news on her condition. To make matters worse, the culprit had not yet been caught, and no one had a clue as to who it may have been.

As if it weren't already bad enough that the entire castle was beyond frightened by Katie's brush with death, the Gryffindor Quidditch team had taken a lethal hit. Katie was an incredible chaser, and Harry was now stuck frantically searching for a replacement with even half of her skill.

"Do not forget that I expect your essays on side effects and mistakes made in the process of becoming an animagus on my desk, Monday morning. Enjoy your weekend." Professor McGonagall finished her lecture, and the dull buzz of teenage chatter quickly filled the classroom as everyone began to pack up their belongings.

I scrambled to shove my books, parchment, and quills into my bag, and started to hurry out of the classroom when a voice stopped me,

"Miss Chapman, may I please speak with you?" McGonagall called across the room. I closed my eyes and resisted the urge to sigh, before turning around and making my way over to her.

"Yes, Professor?"

"Professor Slughorn has informed me that you are not doing so well in Potions." The head of Gryffindor house frowned at me and I gulped, shifting my weight from one foot to the other.

"Well yes..... that is correct. But I'm trying hard to pay attention in class and —"

"Is it not still your wish to become an auror?" She interrupted, peering down at me over her round spectacles.

"Yes, Professor. I still want to be an auror, just like my father," I answered, suddenly finding a dark scuff in the floor the most interesting thing in the world.

"Well then you should know that to become an auror, you must get a good grade on your Potions N.E.W.T.s, and it is highly unlikely that you would be accepted into seventh year Potions with your current grade." McGonagall reminded me.

"Yes, I am aware," I mumbled, still unable to meet her eye. Admittedly, Potions had never been my best subject, but this year had been especially confusing and difficult for me to grasp.

"I asked him if he knew of any students that may tutor you to help get your grade where it needs to be, and he suggested one of your classmates." She continued, catching my attention, "He recommended Draco Malfoy."

What?!?

"Professor I..... no! Absolutely not!" I stammered, feeling my eyes widen to the size of dinner plates.

Was she crazy?

"Miss Chapman, if your goal is to achieve a respectable grade in Potions and become an auror, I highly suggest you take up this offer." McGonagall chided, giving me a stern look, "You would also be wise to change your tone of voice, young lady."

I took a deep breath in, attempting to collect my thoughts and stop myself from screaming at the Deputy Headmistress of Hogwarts.

"I'm sorry, but I really don't think that would be a good idea, Professor. Malfoy and I don't really see eye to eye. Can't someone like Hermione tutor me? Or Harry? I hear he's excelling in Potions this year," I pleaded, hoping she would somehow see reason. Unfortunately, I knew the chances were slim.

"Mr. Malfoy is one of the best Potions students in this school. I cannot see why there would be any issue if he were to tutor you," She answered.

"Why would Malfoy ever do anything to help me? It's not like he would be getting anything out of it, and I've never known him to be the charitable type!" I argued back, once again feeling myself getting riled up as a murderous heat began to spread across my face.

"Actually, that is incorrect. You see, Mr. Malfoy has been seriously struggling in Transfiguration this year. As the top student in my class, you would be the perfect person to tutor Draco." She explained, and I couldn't even allow myself to feel a swell of pride at her compliment due to the increasing panic and disgust growing within me.

I was, however, shocked to hear her admit that Malfoy was struggling in Transfiguration. As much of an arrogant brat as he was, I'd never seen him having problems in the class before this year.

"Professor, have you spoken to Malfoy about this? I sincerely doubt he would ever agree to something like this," I spoke, voicing my thoughts aloud.

It was true. I could never imagine Malfoy agreeing to tutoring a Gryffindor, let alone being tutored by her as well.

"As Head of Slytherin House, Professor Snape will be speaking with Mr. Malfoy about the matter." McGonagall told me, "I advise you to seriously consider this, Miss Chapman. I shall speak with you on Monday, and you may give me your answer then. You are dismissed."

I nodded, worried that if I opened my mouth I would say something horrible enough to get me kicked out of Hogwarts.

Once out of her classroom, I practically sprinted to the Gryffindor common room, desperately searching for someone to confide in.

Draco Malfoy was arguably the biggest prick in the world, and I wanted nothing more than to stay as far away from him as humanly possible. But I also needed an acceptable Potions grade.

What the hell was I going to do?