31 | Mad-Eye's Dead

"Ivy, are you sure this will work?" Ron questioned me as we prepared to apparate back to The Burrow.

"Not at all. But it's our best shot at getting back without another run in with the Death Eaters." I sighed, seeing him nod as he realized that I was right.

The plan was to apparate back to The Burrow. The only problem was the numerous protective spells and enchantments surrounding the Weasleys' home. It would be impossible to apparate directly inside the protective enchantments, so Ron and I would be doing the next best thing; apparating just above the enchantments and free falling to the ground below. Because we were family and friends, we'd be able to fall past the enchantments - just not apparate through them.

"Good heavens, both of you just stay safe. Ronald, your mother will kill me if I am the last person to see either of you alive." Muriel told us, crossing her arms disapprovingly.

"Always so sentimental." Ron muttered under his breath, earning a small slap to the back of his head from Muriel.

"Ready?" I asked, shooting him a small smirk.

"As I'll ever be." He sighed, and as we linked hands, the familiar twisting sensation of side-along apparition took over my senses as Ron apparated us to The Burrow.

***********************************

CRACK!

Within seconds, my stomach had stopped feeling like it was going to lurch out of my throat and I found myself falling through the crisp night air at an alarming speed.

"Arresto momentum!" I cried, feeling my body slow down with Ron's, and seconds later we landed on the ground with an incredible lack of grace. For a moment, the two of us just laid in the grass with our faces pressed up against the cool earth, struggling to catch our breath.

"Bloody hell." Ron groaned, rolling over and sitting up with laboured effort.

"Remind me to never do that ever again." I moaned, copying his actions and sitting up, "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, just a little bruised I think. What about you?" He asked, scanning me for any signs of cuts or bruises.

"I think I may have sprained my wrist, but other than that I'm okay." I told him, before standing up and brushing the dirt from my jeans. Standing in front of me was The Burrow, and I couldn't help it as a small grin stretched across my face - we made it.

As Ron stood up too, Harry, Hermione, Mrs. Weasley, Ginny, and Remus all came running outside at the sound of our arrival.

"Ron!" Hermione gasped, and her and Harry sandwiched Ron in a tight, loving embrace.

I suddenly felt the air being squeezed out of my lungs and I was met with a mouthful of long, red hair.

"I'm so glad you're okay!" Ginny exclaimed.

"Gin.... can't... breathe..." I choked out, and she apologized before letting me go and giving her brother a hug.

Looking up, I watched Remus walk over to me and he comfortingly put an arm around my shoulder.

"It's nice to see you back here in one piece, Ivy." He smiled at me. As shy and reserved as he was, Remus was a wonderful paternal figure in my life and I knew that he would make an amazing father to his and Tonks' baby.

"You too, Remus." I smiled back at him, before being pulled into a loving embrace by Mrs. Weasley. She didn't say anything, but I could tell by her tight grip on me that I was like another member of her family, and she was glad to see me alive and okay.

"Ivy! I'm glad you're alright." Harry interrupted, as he and Hermione gave me short hugs as well.

"I could say the same about you two." I grinned at them, before all of us headed inside The Burrow.

Looking across the living room, I suddenly spotted George lying very still on the couch, with Fred, Mr. Weasley, and Kingsley surrounding him. An alarming amount of blood covered the area around his left ear, and upon further examination, I realized that there was in fact no ear there at all.

"Oh my god, what happened to George?" I gasped as Ron and I ran up to him in shock.

"Severus bloody Snape, that's what happened." Fred muttered not-so quietly.

"His ear... it's just... gone." Ron gaped, staring at his brother in horror.

"There's no way to grow it back since Snape used a dark curse, but in time George will be okay." Mr. Weasley explained, patting Fred on the back. At that moment, Tonks came running into the room and caught sight of me.

"Oh Ivy, I'm so glad you're okay!" Tonks suddenly came over to me and pulled me into a tight hug.

"I'm always okay, Tonks." I reassured her with a small smile, which she returned. As she glanced down, she noticed the way I was cradling my left wrist against my chest and frowned.

"Are you hurt?" Tonks asked me worriedly.

"I think it's just a sprained wrist, I'll be fine." I waved her off, not wanting her to stress even more. I just hoped that the Weasleys would have some extra healing potion that I could use. Otherwise, I'd have to wrap it and let it heal naturally - the muggle way.

Just then, Bill and Fleur entered the room holding hands and looking as though they had just seen a ghost.

"What is it? What's wrong?" Ginny asked nervously.

Bill sighed for a moment, before looking up and speaking to the group, "Mad-Eye's dead."

No one dared to make a sound or move for a moment, unable to cope with the sudden shock. All of a sudden, Tonks burst into tears beside me and ran out of the room. Mad-Eye Moody had been her mentor as an auror, and she probably felt as though she was losing a second father.

"What happened?" Mr. Weasley asked as Remus excused himself to go comfort his crying wife in the other room.

"Mundungus took one look at Voldemort and apparated out of there. Voldemort hit Mad-Eye with the killing curse - there was nothing we could do. I'm sorry." Bill spoke, pulling Fleur closer to him.

"It's not your fault, Bill. No one blames you." Kingsley sighed, before bidding everyone goodnight and leaving The Burrow.

Harry, Tonks, Remus, and I would be staying with the Weasleys until after Bill and Fleur's wedding the following week, so we all said goodnight and I followed Ginny and Hermione up to Ginny's small bedroom upstairs. However, as much as I tried, I didn't get any sleep that night. The horrors of the past, as well as the ones to come, kept me tossing and turning all night. Mad-Eye's death and George's injury hit much too close to home for anyone's liking. We were officially at war.