14 | The Slug Club

"Ginny, I'm going to kill you." I nearly growled at the red head in my dorm room. I was just finishing curling the last of my hair, and pinning it off my face.

"Oh come on Ivy, it's better than having no date at all." Ginny scoffed, rolling her eyes at me.

"How did you even convince me to invite him in the first place?" I hissed, crossing my arms and turning around to face her.

"He's Dean's best friend, Ivy."

"Yes, and he's also in my year. Which means I've had classes with him since I was eleven. And he's such an obnoxious flirt!" I groaned, pulling my heels on.

"Oh just suck it up." Ginny sighed, and I shot a deadly glare at her. Here goes nothing.

***********************************

"Ginny, you look beautiful." Dean smiled at the red head in front of me. Even without looking, I knew that her face was turning bright red at the compliment, and I smirked ever so slightly.

"You look lovely, Ivy." I turned and looked at my date for Slughorn's Christmas party.

"Thanks, Seamus. You clean up nicely." I replied as I reached the bottom step.

I subconsciously tugged at my red dress, feeling uncomfortable as the boy in front of me scanned me from head to toe. 

"Shall we?" He asked, holding his arm out with a mischievous glint in his eyes.

"This is not a date, Finnigan. Remember that. But yes, I suppose we shall." I sighed, looping my arm through his as the four of us exited the Gryffindor common room.

This was going to be a long night.

***********************************

As we entered the room in which the party was held, I was genuinely shocked. It had been decorated in beautiful Christmas colours, and the room was buzzing with happy conversations.

"Ah, Miss Weasley, Mr Thomas, glad you could come! It's going to be a great night! And Miss Chapman and Mr Finnigan, good to see you two! Help yourselves, there's enough food and drinks for everyone!" Slughorn greeted us with a wide grin, and we all nodded.

"I'll go grab us some drinks. What would you like?" Seamus asked, turning to face me.

"Just a butterbeer please." I smiled at my classmate, and he nodded before heading off towards the drink table.

I quietly surveyed the room, and was surprised at the amount of people that were here.

"Ivy!" I spun around at the sound of my name being called, and grinned when I saw my black-haired, green-eyed friend heading towards me.

"Harry, hey! How are you?"

"I'm alright, what about you?" He smiled, taking a sip of his green-coloured drink.

"I'm good. Who are you here with?" I questioned, looking at the crowd of students around us.

"Luna. She's just excused herself to go to the loo. Who did you bring?" He was interrupted as Seamus arrived with the drinks.

"I finally got the butterbeers. Merlin, the line up was so long! Oh, hello Harry." Seamus greeted, handing me my drink. I quietly thanked him, and noticed Harry giving me an amused look.

"Hey mate! Are you guys together, like on a date? Or..." Harry raised his brows, and I almost spat out my butterbeer.

"No. No way. We're just here together as friends. That's all." I quickly answered, shooting Harry a nasty look when Seamus had his back turned.

"Well it was good to see you guys, but I need to go find Hermione. See you around." Harry smirked, and I sighed in frustration as he walked away.

"You know, this could be a date." Seamus suggested, and I punched his arm.

"Get your head out of the clouds, Finnigan. This is not a date, and I will never go on a date with you." I rolled my eyes, causing him to chuckle.

"I'm just teasing. Let's go find Dean and Ginny." He suggested, and I agreed.

***********************************

An hour later, the Christmas party was still in full swing. I was actually starting to enjoy myself until the doors swung open and Mr. Filch came stumbling in with a familiar blonde boy in tow.

"Professor Slughorn sir, I found this student out in the corridor. Said he was invited to your party, but I see no invitation." Flich croaked, grinning evilly at Draco Malfoy.

"Alright, alright! I was gate-crashing! Happy?" Malfoy snapped at the man, and I realized at that moment that the entire room had gone silent and was watching this ordeal go down.

"No, I'm not! The Headmaster gave strict orders that none of you are supposed to be lurkin' around the corridors at night." Filch retorted, tightening his grip on Malfoy's jacket.

"Oh it's alright Mr. Filch, we can forgive Mr. Malfoy just this once. It's not a crime to want to attend a Christmas party. He may stay." Slughorn chuckled, smiling awkwardly at the caretaker.

"I'd like a word with Draco, actually." Snape suddenly interrupted, and my head whipped around to see the professor standing beside Harry. When did he arrive?

"Of course, Professor Snape. As you wish." Slughorn nodded, although he looked uneasy as he made eye contact with Snape, "Let's carry on with the party!"